Will this setup work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoundrel

Reaction score
Ok hear me out on this. I've been brewing AG batches for a while. All of the batches were BIAB in a 9 gallon pot. I was recently given a 10 gallon Igloo cooler. Up until now, the maximum amount of grains I could brew with was about 14 lbs. I would like to increase the amount of grains to up to 20 lbs and I don't want to use extract. Extract is expensive at my LHBS, so I'd like to eliminate it.

So I was thinking of moving to single infusion. The plan is to mash the grains in the 10 gal cooler. Then, when its time to sparge in my kettle, pour the maximum amount of grains in a mash bag, inside the kettle. Then, sparge, remove and dump the grain, then pour the remaining grain into the mash bag and sparge the rest.

Would this work? Can anyone foresee a downside to two stage sparging? I'm in no position to buy any additional equipment, so I'm trying to maximize my ingredients to occasionally make a big beer. Thanks!

i would do a "double batch" split the grains in half and go about your normal brewing process. Almost like your brewing two beers in one day.

do 10 lbs...mash schedule and another 10 pounds and your mash schedule....So bigger beer means more time for you really. Or do a 3x batch sparge, same amount of water, but less amounts during each addition.

It is for 5 gal but 20 is the absolute max and probably more like 16-18 lbs. Basically I'd like to get over the 14 lb constraint. I don't have the equipment to do two batches.

Why bother transfering the grains?
I put all my grain in a large mesh bag and put that in a cooler and mash as normal with a standard grain to water ratio. I then lift the bag out and pour my first runnings into the kettle, then repeat the process twice to sparge letting it sit 15mins each time.
i get 75% efficiancy(or there abouts) and my beer comes out clear.

This method is also quicker than using a manifold.

Just re read the question and i think I missunderstood what you where saying.

Ooops:drunk:

Why bother transfering the grains?
I put all my grain in a large mesh bag and put that in a cooler and mash as normal with a standard grain to water ratio. I then lift the bag out and pour my first runnings into the kettle, then repeat the process twice to sparge letting it sit 15mins each time.
i get 75% efficiancy(or there abouts) and my beer comes out clear.

This method is also quicker than using a manifold.

I like that method and was going to do that but my bag isn't big enough to fit the cooler but fits my kettle. I'm brewing Sunday and don't have the money or time to order a big bag by then. That's what led me down this road.

I got my SWMBO to sew one out of net curtian material. Not that that's any easier or quicker but might be cheaper.

I got my SWMBO to sew one out of net curtian material. Not that that's any easier or quicker but might be cheaper.

Good idea bob. I might just do that. What do you guys think about a two stage sparge? Would there be any potential disadvantages?

bob3000 said:
That's a standard batch sparge. You do it in batches, hence the name.

Sweet! I've been set in my ways so I really never researched this technique. Thank you very much.

Latest posts

Back