will this come out good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smileyak87

Reaction score
I'm creating a honey citrus american wheat and this is what I have come up with

Ingredients
6lb wheat dme
O.5 pounds honey @ flameout
0.25 pounds honey malt steeped for 30
0.33 oz liberty @60
0.33 oz warrior @30
0.33 oz citra @15
1 oz orange zest @5
US05 yeast

My questions are:

Should I disregard the honey at flameout?

Is 1oz orange zest too much?

Should I use wyeast 1056 or nottingham instead?

Any suggestions?

I would switch the first two hop additions and use warrior as the 60 minute hop. It's pretty much devoid of flavor and aroma, but great for bittering. Also, the 1/2 lb honey wont add anything either, it will thin out the body a little but so does table sugar and it's way cheaper than honey.

Edit: I've never used honey malt but I've heard it gives more honey flavor than actual honey. German pilsner malt will throw some honey flavors in the mix too

I use Wyeast 1010 (American Wheat) forthis style of beer.

Never used orange zest in an American Wheat, so I can't comment. Instead I use Ahtanum or Amarillio hops for their orange zesty flavors.

Honey at flameout might be good if you ask me.

Sounds like a tasty brew.

Gary

I would also add a bit more of the Honey Malt to this as well (Maybe double it). The honey, added at the end of the boil, will actually give your beer a drier finish. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. Looks like a good recipe though! Good luck!

Thank you everyone

I wanted to use the honey cause I have it and I need to use it up.

I actualy meant wyeast 1010 just confused the numbers

So updated recipe below

Ingredients
6lb wheat dme
O.5 pounds honey @ flameout
0.25 pounds honey malt steeped for 30
0.33 oz liberty @30
0.33 oz warrior @60
0.33 oz citra @15
1 oz orange zest @5
Wyeast 1010

Honey malt; you either love it or hate it. I don't like it. I'm glad to see you kept it at .25 lbs.

You can add the honey at any time. The later you add it the more honey flavor you will retain.

- Add it at the start of the boil and you will get nothing except for the sugars.
- Add it at the end of the boil and you might get a little honey flavor, but most will be gone.
- Dilute it in a little warm water and add it as fermentation slows down and you greatly increase the chance of capturing some of the honey flavor and aroma.
- Add it at bottling and you get the best results. I'm not saying they are great, but it is the best way of maximizing the flavor and aroma in the beer. You might want to keep 5 ozs of the honey and use it to prime the beer instead of sugar. Check a calculator, you might be able to use 6 ozs at bottling.

The 1 ozs zest is fine.

Give it a go, and make notes when you start drinking it. One of the main things I love about this hobby is the ability to make beer that I love. I'm always gratified when people say they like my beer, but I mainly brew for me.

I would want to drink the beer that you make from this recipe. My only beef is that it seems more like a warm weather beer - and since it's getting ready to snow, I'm not sure it's the right time of year. Well, now that I think of it, I used to drink a lot of wheat beer when I was stationed in Germany - mostly on dreary, cold evenings (like tonight) in front of a fire with a pork roast. Dammit - now I want a wheat beer.

Give it a go, and make notes when you start drinking it. One of the main things I love about this hobby is the ability to make beer that I love. I'm always gratified when people say they like my beer, but I mainly brew for me.

I would want to drink the beer that you make from this recipe. My only beef is that it seems more like a warm weather beer - and since it's getting ready to snow, I'm not sure it's the right time of year. Well, now that I think of it, I used to drink a lot of wheat beer when I was stationed in Germany - mostly on dreary, cold evenings (like tonight) in front of a fire with a pork roast. Dammit - now I want a wheat beer.

Lol. Wheat beers are my favorite

I don't have any experience with a recipe like this so I can't give you much info, but I feel adding honey would be a good thing (make sure you include it in your ABV calculation), as would upping your honey malt.

Also, since you have "Citrus" in the title, I assume you actually want to taste it. I do have some experience with Citra, and I can tell you that only .33 oz will not give very much flavor. You'll probably notice it, but barely, if at all. If that's what you're going for, than you're fine. But if you really want the Citrus/lemony-lime/mango of Citra, I'd suggest at least 1 oz.

Also, is this a typical 5 gallon batch, or smaller?

Its a 5 gallon batch.

I was thinking the orange zest would give some citrus flavor as well.

Back