Will my stout hit FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Han_Solo

Reaction score
Brewed a partial mash oatmeal stout. OG was 1.060 and for the past few days the gravity readings have been at 1.026, which is a little high for this style of beer (that is to say that most of my searches have an oatmeal stout FG being 1.010-1.018). I am not sure if it has an effect on the gravity readings, but I am roughly a 1/2 gallon short of the recipes size (a 5 gallon batch).

Question is, should I wait a few more days and take another reading before moving to secondary? I'm pretty inexperienced so I am not sure as to what to expect with the FG being so far off.

What was the recipe? Did you use lactose or maltodextrin? What yeast did you use / did you make a starter?

Also, how long has it been fermenting? Either way, waiting longer before thinking of transferring will only help. If it's still fermenting at all, you don't really want to transfer if off the yeast, you want to let them keep working on it in hopes that it will go lower. I'd give it another week and check again.

ChessRockwell said:
What was the recipe? Did you use lactose or maltodextrin? What yeast did you use / did you make a starter?

Also, how long has it been fermenting? Either way, waiting longer before thinking of transferring will only help. If it's still fermenting at all, you don't really want to transfer if off the yeast, you want to let them keep working on it in hopes that it will go lower. I'd give it another week and check again.

No lactose and no malto dextrin. I used a Pre packaged dry yeast, I think a windsor ale yeast. It's only been fermenting for a week. It's supposed to be a relatively low gravity beer (5-5 1/2 lbs of extract for the 5 gal batch).

Only a week? I'd definitely let it go another week at least, even two wouldn't hurt. It could be done or it could go lower, only one way to find out.

Even if it finishes at 1.026 that's not too bad a place to be for a stout really, so I wouldn't worry too much. Just give it more time and see!

ChessRockwell said:
Only a week? I'd definitely let it go another week at least, even two wouldn't hurt. It could be done or it could go lower, only one way to find out.

Even if it finishes at 1.026 that's not too bad a place to be for a stout really, so I wouldn't worry too much. Just give it more time and see!

Cool thanks for the reassurance!

Back