Will my mead make me sick?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktar

Reaction score
I made my first melomel this fall, but life got in the way and it ended up staying in the carboy and on the yeast cake for a long time. I brewed on sept 5, took a gravity reading on oct 28 and again today (Dec 8). My gravity remains unchanged at 1016 which gives me an ABV of 11.7. The problem is that the seeds from my oranges are greenish and floating. Could this be mould? This fruit has been in there for a long time. I dont know if the alcohol would preserve it, but fruit on my table for three months would be rotting. I tasted it and it didn't taste bad, but I'd hate to drink this and get food poisoning or something. Any thoughts on this?

Pics, perhaps??? I doubt you'd get "food poisoning," per se, but mold certainly might not taste too good. Bottle it, let it age, taste test it in a few months or more (this is what I'd do...ymmv)....could very well be fine.

If it were mold it would be on the surface and not just on the seeds. Most likely they just changed color from long period.

I will be fine. If it is mold only on the seeds then just avoid siphoning then out of the carboy.

Here're some pics.

image-2649813440.jpg

image-806410785.jpg

image-1505731457.jpg

Fine IMO. Any mold infrction would likely have grown in patches across the top of the liquid surface and there'd likely be a string like part dropping down into the brew too.

If it tastes ok then just rack, clear and bottle (or whatever else you might intend doing).....

Due to their alcohol content and relatively low Ph, pathogens cannot live in beer/wine/mead/spirits.
Actually beer wine and meads, can get infected (not sure of what you're alluding too with the term pathogens though), but with molds and bacteria in some cases (acetobacter anyone ? )...

For the alcohol to offer any resistance its gonna have to be over about 10%. Not sure how much effect the low pH offers as a protection as molds if left unchecked, will grow in wines. The only booze considered proof against most of that sort of thing is spirits and the stronger it is the more protected........think injection swabs.

Beer and cider have little protection, beer being the worst....

pathogen=something that makes you sick.. You will find none in booze, unless you count alcohol. That will, indeed, make you sick

Fine IMO. Any mold infrction would likely have grown in patches across the top of the liquid surface and there'd likely be a string like part dropping down into the brew too.

If it tastes ok then just rack, clear and bottle (or whatever else you might intend doing).....

I agree. It doesn't sound like it is infected. Just take care of it soon and then let it sit in the final bottles for a few months or more. Should be fine.

Back