Will electric heat up my house as much as stove

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielEE

Reaction score
Hello, I live in an apartment and brew on my stovetop. i set the boil kettle over 2 burners and turn the flame all the way up and it heats up my apartment pretty well...now that the summer is here i was wondering if switching to electric would reduce the heat build up in the apartment....or is it the heat from the actual boil that generates the heat.

Just curious if anyone has noticed any difference

(this is my 1st post, not sure if its in the right spot or if its been explained before)

Thanks in advance for any help

I would thing it would roughly be the same. You're still boiling X gallons of wort and have the steam from the boiling. Can you vent out the steam? My kitchen and surrounding areas get pretty steamy when I brew on the stovetop.

If you're a DIY kind or guy, funnel the steam into a pipe/tube with the outlet end is submerged into a container with water. It'll condense the steam for you.

Kind of like this:

021230022-drywall-dust-tip_lg.jpg

Hello, I live in an apartment and brew on my stovetop. i set the boil kettle over 2 burners and turn the flame all the way up and it heats up my apartment pretty well...now that the summer is here i was wondering if switching to electric would reduce the heat build up in the apartment....or is it the heat from the actual boil that generates the heat.

Just curious if anyone has noticed any difference

(this is my 1st post, not sure if its in the right spot or if its been explained before)

Thanks in advance for any help

So you mean an electric water heater element inside your kettle? Yes that would reduce the heat. An electric element transfers 100% of the heat to the water. A flame transfers only a percentage of the heat as some is lost around the perimeter outside the kettle. If you insulate your pot (I use reflectix) you will have less wasted heat as well, so you can get the same boil using less heat.

You will get heat from your vessel and mass but, as thefost mentioned, you lose a lot of heat from a gas burner to the environment (aka your apartment). When we switched our 1Bbl system to electric the heat output drop was huge.

Thank you guys for taking the time to help me out... I think I may have to pick up one of blichmanns boil coils now

Back