Will dry hopping create fermentation??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrustyOlJohnson

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sort of a click-bait question, because I know there are no fermentables in Amarillo hops, but today I racked an IPA to secondary after 2 weeks and it had reached a FG of 1.009, with an estimated FG of 1.010. I sprinkled an oz of Amarillo on top in secondary, and now, 4 hours later, I have airlock activity. Thoughts?

Sort of a click-bait question, because I know there are no fermentables in Amarillo hops, but today I racked an IPA to secondary after 2 weeks and it had reached a FG of 1.009, with an estimated FG of 1.010. I sprinkled an oz of Amarillo on top in secondary, and now, 4 hours later, I have airlock activity. Thoughts?

The dryhops acted as nucleation points for the dissolved co2 in the beer, so that it's coming out of the airlock. It'll be even more active if the temperature of the room is raised, or if the barometric pressure rises.

Sometimes when you rack it can kick-start fermentation again. Airlock activity isn't necessarily a sign of fermentation thought. It could just be off-gassing more due to racking. Hops can create nucleation sites for C02 to be released as well. In summary, probably not...

The dryhops acted as nucleation points for the dissolved co2 in the beer, so that it's coming out of the airlock. It'll be even more active if the temperature of the room is raised, or if the barometric pressure rises.

Yooper, basically, you're amazing. I raised the temp 3 degrees after racking to let the yeast do a final clean up in week 3. Im sure you nailed it. Thx for the responses

Back