Will a long gas line have a large impact on CO2 pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjap52

Reaction score
I'd like to run a gas line from my regulator in my basement to a secondary regulator that I'm going to mount next to my conical. The idea being that I can pressure transfer/carbonate without having to buy a second regulator. The secondary regulator would be cannibalized from my 4x secondary regulator lineup, making it a 3x.

So the setup would be:

Tank with regulator set to 30PSI. 2 valves exiting this.

Valve 1 goes into my kegerator to the secondary regulators for serving.
Valve 2 goes to a ~ 30' run to another secondary regulator next to my fermentor for Carbonation/pressure transfer/keg purging.

Main question: Will this 30' run have any negative side effects on my ability to carb/pressure transfer/keg purge?

Thanks!

Pressure drop is proportional to flow - so the answer here depends.

Carbonating will have very little difference because the flow is so low that the pressure will barely change from source to destination.

Serving and transferring will likely see a few psi difference. If you need those extra pounds of pressure the solution is a larger diameter hoses that has less pressure drop per foot per flow rate.

Back