Wild Yeast Mixed Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarylandTerps

Crabcakes and football
Reaction score
I have some wild yeast I captured from my backyard that been pretty consistent around 35-45% apparent attenuation while I'm stepping it up in starters. I want to use it in a mixed fermentation with a standard commercial strain, but I'm curious what the best way to do it is. Pitch both at the same time? Pitch wild first and then the commercial when it's run it's course? Commercial first then wild? Ideally I'm hoping to let the yeast characteristics shine so I know what I'm working with for future brews.

The wild yeast seems to form a pellicle after about a week or so. Giving me hefeweizen type aromas/taste, specifically bubblegum and vanilla with a hint a banana.

I’d add the wild first and then the commercial when the airlock slows down (day 2 or 3?). For the commercial strain I’d pick something similar like hefeweizen yeast or something clean like Chico or Kveik.

Perfect, thanks! Yeah the wild strain seems to really slow down in activity after day 3 in a starter.

Back