Wild yeast batch - when to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

botch13

Reaction score
Hey,

Not sure what the correct term is but I 'obtained' some yeast off some flowers near my property. I stepped the yeast up three times to a 1 litre mini batch. All tasted ok and smelt great so I brewed a 5 litre 75% pilsner 25% wheat batch hopped to 10 ibu's. It went from 1.044 to 1.009 in 5 days. I have left it over two more weeks and its still 1.009. Ph went from 5.6 to 3.9.

Do you think I would be ok to bottle this?? I am concerned as I have no idea what bugs are in there......... : /

Cheers!

If it tastes good, and the gravity has been stable for a couple weeks, I would guess it’s okay to bottle. Maybe try to swirl the fermenter/rouse it up a little in case it ferments a bit more first?

Not sure what the correct term is but I 'obtained' some yeast
"Wrangled"!

I agree, you're probably ok. Just keep an eye on carbonation level in the bottles for the first few weeks to months if it lasts that long.

If you want to rest easier you could invest in thick bottles (belgian or champagne) that can handle high pressure, or kegging.

Nice work, keep it up :)
There's a whole world of yeast out there itching to make beer!

Cheers guys. I do have enough Belgian and champagne bottles so will be using those. I will also try rousing the yeast and might also try warming it up too. Just to be sure! Thanks for the advice

24hrs after rousing and raising temperature slowly from 18c to 24c and there is pretty significant airlock activity!

I'll let you know where I end up in case anyone is interested

24hrs after rousing and raising temperature slowly from 18c to 24c and there is pretty significant airlock activity!

I'll let you know where I end up in case anyone is interested
If you raise the temperature the co2 goes out of solution... So the airlock activity might just indicate this.

Back