Wife Dropped My CO2 Tank...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darwin18

Reaction score
I recently filled my 5 lb CO2 tank and my wife insisted that it sit in the back of her car on the way home. Then she had to stop by Lowes on the way back - when she opened the back gate on her car, the tank fell out and landed on the plastic valve, cracking it.

I was able to squeeze the handle and turn the valve so that it's connected to the my kegging system and can still carbonate. It should last a few months, however my concern is what to do when it is eventually empty. Is it possible to replace the broken plastic black valve, or do I need to order a new replacement tank?

5lbCO2__44201.1360849179.1280.1280.jpg

The black valve on the top of the tank is what has cracked and now broken off completely....

Is it just the handle/knob that broke? If so that can be replaced. I had to have that done the last time I had mine hydro tested, I think it was an extra $10 or so.

Lots of places exchange tanks, I'd swap it out. Careful dropping that lil sucker, it could rocket across the parking lot.

I'd rather not exchange it, unless I can't make the repair myself. It's a solid, and shiny, aluminum tank. I don't really want a beat to crap tank unless I have to.

Whoever refills or sells welding gas in your area should be able to get you a new one. Take yours there and show it to them.

The broken valve and/or handle can be replaced.

However, since these tanks hold pressure and could rupture or explode if damaged, I'd suggest at least having it visually inspected for hairline cracks at a licensed inspection facility. Scuba shops might be able to do this for you. Or maybe take it to some other gas provider in your local area for an inspection. The visual inspection is pretty straight forward, they remove the valve and place an ultrasonic light wand into the tank to check for cracks. They may also be able to repair the broken knob for you at the same time.

The broken valve and/or handle can be replaced.

However, since these tanks hold pressure and could rupture or explode if damaged, I'd suggest at least having it visually inspected for hairline cracks at a licensed inspection facility. Scuba shops might be able to do this for you. Or maybe take it to some other gas provider in your local area for an inspection. The visual inspection is pretty straight forward, they remove the valve and place an ultrasonic light wand into the tank to check for cracks. They may also be able to repair the broken knob for you at the same time.

Good info, but those tanks are designed to be handled by Gorilla's!
It's not the first one to be dropped!

Do a visual on the exterior of it, and go from there.
Slap on a new handle and you should be good to go.

I wouldn't waste a tank of gas for an internal visual inspection.
I would be more worried of a crack in the brass valve, had it had a metal handwheel installed, but the plastic wheel took most of the blow.

A soapy water leak check around the valve area wouldn't hurt.

Dammit Darwin. This is compressed air. You pulled the wrong one! You screw around with these tanks and they're gonna blow up!

[ame]http://youtu.be/0JJYnK0J57o[/ame]

Not all gases act the same. Myth-busters use compressed air at levels for scuba diving (around 2,000 psi or more).

CO2 is a bit safer since the liquid can only evaporate to pressurize the tank so fast.

My CO2 tank scares me enough even though I treat it like a Faberge egg. If it was me I would get it hydro tested and the whole valve assembly replaced.

Or just buy a new one; empty the current one, remove the valve and eBay it "as-is"

Edit: It scares me because when you realize the sheer amount of energy in that tank, and what the worst-case failure scenario would be, you have a hard time trusting a chunk of metal to hold it all in.

Yep!

I saw a video once, of one strapped to a skateboard!

These same clowns were making giant oxy-acetylene "noisemakers", with trash bags!

We made the bag of oxy/acetylene when we were kids. Later in life we had a customer (when I worked at a welding distributor) almost killed doing the same thing. Static discharge is more than enough to ignite such a volatile mixture. Its a wonder I ever mad it out of my 20's.

Latest posts

Back