Why to call your water department

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jro238

Reaction score
So I was checking out my water report recently and was a little disappointed that almost all of the relevant brewing elements were left off of the quality report (everything except for Na+ and Ca2+). I finally called the water department today and left a message for the guy who is in charge of everything (only like 30k people in the suburb/city I'm in).

He calls me back and lo and behold I find out that he is a homebrewer! (if by some chance you're on HBT, good luck on the IPA). We talk for a little while and in addition to him offering to send me info on all of the unpublished ion/pH information (I guess technically it's published every 10 years or something), he offers to let me come down and pull water straight out of the city wells so I don't have to worry about dealing with any chlorine or chloramines.

Lesson learned. Just talk to people and you never know where you'll end up :mug:

Always.

I'm going to try my brew in the next week or two with some of this untreated water so we'll see if there's any improvement/change.

Latest posts

Back