Why Sanitation is important

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long would it take to get the 100s of BILLIONS that would rival the yeast. And once you have alcohol, do they die? It is commonly stated that no harmful bacteria can live in beer.

But yes, Sanitize and pitch healthy yeast.

How long would it take to get the 100s of BILLIONS that would rival the yeast. And once you have alcohol, do they die? It is commonly stated that no harmful bacteria can live in beer.

But yes, Sanitize and pitch healthy yeast.
No HARMFUL bacteria can live in beer. There are lots of things that will make your beer taste bad but would not harm you (other than maybe making you puke). Many of the lacto and brett yeast strains work better in high alcohol than the normal ale or lager yeast.

I was referring to the link that is talking of Salmonella etc. on food. I wasn't really thinking of Lacto or Brett that changes the flavor of the beer without making it harmful, thus the use of the word "harmful".

I got this tickler from Thermoworks and thought how much this applied to fermentation. We are right in the "danger zone".

Sanitize and Sanitize. Pitch the correct amount of yeast. Get them to the battle first!

https://www.thermoworks.com/tempera...477823667952601536753230073292229414620941434
This stuff doesn't apply to beer.

The conditions in a fermenting beer prevent pathogens, even with completely unsanitized equipment.

Alcohol kills the enteric bacteria.
Anerobic conditions prevent mold.
Oxygen and then pH drop prevent food poisoning from Clostridia.

Cheers

This stuff doesn't apply to beer.

The conditions in a fermenting beer prevent pathogens, even with completely unsanitized equipment.

Alcohol kills the enteric bacteria.
Anerobic conditions prevent mold.
Oxygen and then pH drop prevent food poisoning from Clostridia.

Cheers
Thank goodness - no reason to clean or sanitize then!

Back