Why not more dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casualbrewer

Reaction score
What is the reasoning that the yeast companies don't make dry versions of each yeast? For me I much prefer just buying 2 packets of dry yeast and rehydrating compared to making a starter. Would be so convenient to have more yeasts in dry form, especially lager yeast.

What is the reasoning that the yeast companies don't make dry versions of each yeast? For me I much prefer just buying 2 packets of dry yeast and rehydrating compared to making a starter. Would be so convenient to have more yeasts in dry form, especially lager yeast.

S-23 is really great!

It's my understanding that not all yeast strains can survive the dehydration/rehydration process well enough to give a viable count when pitched. So what you see in the dry yeast market are those strains that are able to survive the dehydration/rehydration process.

And even if a certain starin could survive dehydration/rehydration, it's presumably a big deal to be able to develop the strain. Lots of R&D, trials, production minimums, etc. I'm guessing they have a sell a lot of packets to make it worthwhile.

ThreeSheetz and McGarnigle are right. Some stains just not survive the drying process very well. Also it is expensive to do so it must be done in large quantities to make it cheaper. There are just some strains that do not sell well enough to make it worth their while. There was a post that had an email from one of the big yeast companies explaining that a while ago. I'll see if I can find it.

I see.. just seems like it would make a lot of sense to offer certain strains in dry form given there is proper demand.

I would love to see more strains offered as dry yeast. That would be great.

Recently the offerings have increased. but there is a long way to go before more are offered. For example Belle Saison is a good solid saison yeast. Not my favorite, but makes a good solid saison. I use it occasionally.

I see.. just seems like it would make a lot of sense to offer certain strains in dry form given there is proper demand.

That would make sense for sure. I'd LOVE to have a dry version of White Labs WLP940 Mexican lager yeast but in an email answer from White Labs, the yeast won't cooperate. They'd do it but can't.

I feel your pain.

That would make sense for sure. I'd LOVE to have a dry version of White Labs WLP940 Mexican lager yeast but in an email answer from White Labs, the yeast won't cooperate. They'd do it but can't.

I feel your pain.

I too would like to try the 940 but my lhbs doesn't carry it. Would have to order in. Would make it easy if they had packets laying around...

To be honest...
You can cover QUITE A BIT of ground with the dry yeasts already on the market.

The biggest problem is probably the somewhat less attenuative yeast, but that's mainly me not liking S-04 at all and being somewhat wary of using Windsor. A dry version of WY1728 would be awesome.

If you know that your liquid yeast is fresh and has been stored correctly, you "don't always" have to make a starter. If not then 1 1/2 cups of extra light DME in a half gallon of filtered water will make a perfect starter wort.

Latest posts

Back