Why is US-05 listed as having a much higher attenuation than 1056 or WLP001?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSnacks

Reaction score
They're identical strains so shouldn't the attenuation be roughly in the same ballpark? The higher pitchrate of a dry pack vs. a smack pack shouldn't result in higher attenuation, should it?

Listed attenuation rates are an informed estimate. Oxygenation, mash temps, and pitching rate will all make a huge difference, so the yeast manufacturers can only provide a best guess. Their guesses can and will differ.

I know I've heard it over and over on this forum that WLP001, Wyeast 1056 and S05 are the same strain.

But it's not true.

Sure, they may have originated from the same Chico yeast strain, but with reproduction and culturing, yeast strains change and mutate. I find that of the three, I prefer WLP001, as it is more flocculant and clears the beer far better than Wyeast 1056 in my experience. It also ferments better at cool temperatures than S05, without getting 'peachy' esters.

So, sure, the attenuation numbers would vary. Not only do all fermentations vary a bit anyway, even in the same strain (that's why they have ranges listed), but these are different strains.

I have some wpl001 that I have been washing for a couple of years now. When I make my blonde ale it goes nuts, blowing out everywhere. I used a pack of us-05 on my last batch because of laziness and it just foamed up a bit. Major difference.

I'm a relative newb, but have lived 05 so far. What is this 001 you speak of? I must try it.

I'm not so much worried about peachy esters as a much lower FG. 1.010 vs. 1017. That'll dry out an IPA real quick.

In the same recipe, mashed at the same temperature, the attenuation rates are very similar. I would be shocked if two fermenters, side by side, with the same ingredients but a WLP001 in one and S05 or Wyeast 1056 in the other would vary that much. It's just not likely, especially in an IPA.

Wyeast lists 1056 as going up to 11%, with 73-77% attenuation. White labs list WLP001 as 73-80%, with 'high' alcohol tolerance. In other words, about the same in attenuation and alcohol tolerance. No way would there be a huge difference in FG.

Not my "house" yeast, but recently wanted to brew and it was available. Wyeast 1056 1st generation, 80% attenuation. 2nd generation 82% attenuation. Both beers were just north of 1.060 OG.

I have some wpl001 that I have been washing for a couple of years now. When I make my blonde ale it goes nuts, blowing out everywhere. I used a pack of us-05 on my last batch because of laziness and it just foamed up a bit. Major difference.

I agree that 05, 001, and 1056 all have slightly different characteristics, but one thing they have in common is that they attenuate higher as you reuse them, up to a point. Comparing attenuation of 1st generation 05 to 8+ generation 001 isn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

I like 05 for the ease of use, but I have to be more careful about the temp than with 001. Which I end up using just depends on what I have on hand and/or how "spontaneous" my brew day happens to be.

US-05, 001, and 1056 are sufficiently similar to use in a highly flavored beer (IPA, IIPA, stout, etc.) that you won't notice the subtle differences. Attenuation and flocculation are quite similar too.

If I was to make a delicately flavored ale; however, I would choose 001 over the others for reasons mentioned above.

Flars just mentioned that you get the peachy off flavors if you ferment it too cold. What's the verdict?:confused:

Yep. In my experience, if you ferment it below about 64 degrees, you get 'peach' notes. I've never fermented it too warm, but my understanding is that it gets peach esters at a warmer temperature as well. I like it ok, but only in a very narrow temperature range of 65-68 degrees.

Yep. In my experience, if you ferment it below about 64 degrees, you get 'peach' notes. . . I like it ok, but only in a very narrow temperature range of 65-68 degrees.
Too many yeasts for my old brain to follow. You're talking about WLP001?

What about Wy1056, do you get peachy from a cold (60'ish) fermentation there also?

Too many yeasts for my old brain to follow. You're talking about WLP001?

What about Wy1056, do you get peachy from a cold (60'ish) fermentation there also?

No, in that case I'm talking about S05, and why I don't like it.

I don't use Wyeast 1056 much, but am using right now and it's in an IPA at 68 degrees (Northern Brewer didn't have WLP001).

I prefer WLP001 of any of those three strains. No issues with any esters, at 62 degrees, or at 68 degrees (never go higher than that as a rule).

No, in that case I'm talking about S05, and why I don't like it. I don't use Wyeast 1056 much, but am using right now and it's in an IPA at 68 degrees (Northern Brewer didn't have WLP001).

That makes more sense. I confuse easy. :p

I've got a run of Wyeast 1056 going for the same reason. Couldn't get what I wanted and 1056 was the freshest thing at the LHBS. First up was a Mosaic Wheat IPA. Taste great now, but you had me worried that it might start tasting peachy after the hops fade (like it'll be around long enough for that to happen.)

I very rarely use White Labs. You mentioned flocculation and clearing as reasons for preferring WL001 over Wy1056. I'd be interested to hear how this new beer turns out for you, both appearance and taste. How soon before it hits a keg?

That makes more sense. I confuse easy. :p

I've got a run of Wyeast 1056 going for the same reason. Couldn't get what I wanted and 1056 was the freshest thing at the LHBS. First up was a Mosaic Wheat IPA. Taste great now, but you had me worried that it might start tasting peachy after the hops fade (like it'll be around long enough for that to happen.)

I very rarely use White Labs. You mentioned flocculation and clearing as reasons for preferring WL001 over Wy1056. I'd be interested to hear how this new beer turns out for you, both appearance and taste. How soon before it hits a keg?

Ah, let's see. I brewed Thursday, and it's fermenting right now at 67-68 degrees. So, it'll be at least 10 more days. I use WLP001 as a house yeast strain normally, for cream ales, pale ales, IPAs, etc. I made this recipe before, so I"ll see if I can notice differences even not side-by-side.

Latest posts

Back