Why do I keep making bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never had an infection, bottlebomb, or bottle brush. Can't imagine the tedium of brush scrubbing every bottle I ever bottled. That would be over 12,000 scrubbings. I would rather spend the $12 for new bottles than scrub each one. Rinse thoroughly after use, then vinator right before filling, yep, that's the ticket for me.

If it is an infection, I would start with a bleach holocaust, starting with all your plastic. I had to do that a few months ago because everything was souring and gushing. It actually turned out that it was the air in my crappy apartment that was souring everything, but I sterilized everything with bleach, even bought all new plastic everythings.

I have always considered myself to be thorough about Star-San-ing everything and then rinsing after use, but obviously I need to really break it down and rethink things.

Sorry for snipping out a lot, but I'm wondering how you meant this statement. Are you rinsing after using the StarSan, or after drinking the beer?

Why I have not yet bottled my first batch yet, it is still sitting in the primary, from reading the posts I'd really don't think the treatment of the bottles would be the cause. As it sounds like a more prevasive symptom impacting all the bottles, nut just a few 'possibly dirty' bottles. I would guess the problem is in the bottling bucket, the hoses, or the bottling wand. As those are the items that are touching all the beer. Why I am sorry this has happened to you, I have really learned a lot of the 'what not to do' items for my first batch.

If it is an infection, I would start with a bleach holocaust, starting with all your plastic. I had to do that a few months ago because everything was souring and gushing. It actually turned out that it was the air in my crappy apartment that was souring everything, but I sterilized everything with bleach, even bought all new plastic everythings.

Could you clarify about the air souring things? I rent an older house with some questionable mold/mildew history, and my roommate has two dogs who do a great job of making sure everything stays stirred up. How did you decide the air was the culprit?

Sorry for snipping out a lot, but I'm wondering how you meant this statement. Are you rinsing after using the StarSan, or after drinking the beer?

Rinsing after drinking the beer. Then the bottles go into storage in a cabinet until bottling day, when they get hit with Starsan and filled with new beer, no rinsing.

Back