Why Amazon Why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ayzala

Scotalian Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I need a new door gasket for my fridge, Amazon is cheaper than the manufacturers website. But why would anyone need to put this on Subscribe & Save? And the kicker is the recommendation they deliver every two months????

1677268190003.png

I guess you could cancel the "subscription," right after placing the order?

Aside from that, why such a crazy high price for such an item?
I noticed replacement parts of refrigerator cabinets are always highly overpriced, especially for what they are, a piece of mass produced molded plastic. Such as a door bin, a shelf, or a crisper.

BTW, I did see a somewhat cheaper one of the same model such as this one, without subscription.

Can you just click the "One time purchase" box below the subscription area? The amazon UI fooled me when it first rolled out the subscribe and save. It can look like subscribing is your only option at first.

Sometimes I find dealing with more specialized vendors works out better in the end, even if their price is not as low as the amazon or similar general internet suppliers. Is the money you saved by going to cheapest listing with no real customer support worth the time spent trying to figure it out?

Especially if you add the time you have spent on this thread...

Not that I'm any paragon of efficency, I'm here aren't I?

Sometimes I find dealing with more specialized vendors works out better in the end
I agree with that, moreso when their prices are the same or better. And it's worth keeping them in business too.

I got a new temp sensor for my Samsung Fridge for under $8 at a local appliance parts center, called ahead, my wife picked it up on her way back. Amazon's was around the same, but not as fast.

Many years ago I replaced the original oven element on an Amana range. And again, a 2nd time, within a year, which was odd. But it wasn't crazy expensive ($20-30 or so), and also bought locally.

I think Amazon will put that Subscribe & Save on everything regardless of the product. I also did a search for automotive parts and saw an upgraded alternator for my truck, again Sub and Save every two months. What do they think I'm going to do with the alternator, power my house and fry it?

After seeing the price on Amazon, I started looking at local M&P shops only to find it wasn't cheaper by any means, upwards of $50 more expensive (It's a cheap fridge I could just get a new one).

Other online parts stores were closer to the manufacturer, but only about $20 more, without prime shipping. As it not a rush (the existing gasket has only just started splitting) I'm going to keep looking.

I just don't understand how a simple gasket could be 1/4 of the cost of a new fridge. Must be made of some extremely rare material only found in debris of meteorites.

not a rush (the existing gasket has only just started splitting)
I wonder if some silicone/RTV can fix the split after a good cleaning/degreasing of the troublesome area.
Maybe Google it?

I just don't understand how a simple gasket could be 1/4 of the cost of a new fridge.
It's totally mind boggling...
(Read: complete rip-off).

Genuine OEM part is the reason for the cost. I do a LOT of appliance repairs in my house. I do sometimes find the parts on Amazon but there are a couple of other appliance parts sellers on the web. One or two of them even offer videos. Many provide helpful diagrams to enable you to find the correct part and these can even help to diagnose your appliance. To get a good price, it helps to have the mfg part number. Then when you are looking for parts, you might discover that it is common for other manufacturers to use the same part. This may result in another part number for the same part. Which you can now search on and find cheaper, perhaps with a more generic option available. Be very careful doing this on Amazon as Amazon will feed you similar parts but for different models and you might not notice a slight number change. You can put the exact part number in yet Amazon will still offer you 50 options and only 5 are the exact part you want. It pays to be extra careful with double checking the part numbers, particularly if your appliance is completely broken. Rread the reviews too, they are potentially having the same issues you are and they may prove insightful.

Also, sometimes the MODEL numbers contain extraneous information like the color which you can leave out and that may at times broaden your search. In this situation, there's a chance it might be important as I can't say if they might change the gasket color. Doubtful.

well i was laughing at the joke, then got to thinking we mostly are DIY spirted people here....and a repair shop might want to subscribe..... 🤔

Back