Why am I getting so much condensation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyjerky214

Reaction score
I've had my keeper since July. Originally, I used crappy lumber for the collar, had it just sitting on the freezer, and then had the lid attached to it. I had serious condensation issues which I attributed to the air leaks in the collar (they were bad). I rebuilt it a few months ago with good lumber, I insulated the hell out of the collar, and I changed it so that the collar lifts off the freezer instead of the lid just to make it easier when changing kegs. I have no air leaks, but I still am getting a ton of condensation in there. It's driving me insane as I'm getting mold on the floor and even on some of my kegs.

The walls of the freezer are always wet. I have it set to around 40º.

What am I doing wrong? I'm losing my friggin mind over this.

Does the freezer have an open drain plug?

Water vapor has to be getting in there somehow in order for it to condense.

Are you pouring from Cobra taps?

I'll double check, but I'm almost positive the drain plug on the floor is closed. I'm pouring from Perlick faucets.

If the drain plug is in and the collar is properly sealed then the only posible way for moist air to enter would be through YOU.

So, the solution is to STOP OPENING THE FECKING DOOR!

:D

i have the same problem. i even have a dehumidifier in my basement. i just resolve myself to give it a good scrubbing a few times a year.

Do a little search next time and you'll find other keezers with the same issue and solutions.

Many people recommend "Damp-rid" available at hardware stores and big box stores like Wal Mart.

Latest posts

Back