Whoops! Topped up with unboiled wort! Prognosis? Preemptive action?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bingggo

Reaction score
I just did a black IPA (my fourth AG,), and ended up with 6 gallons at 1.075 after the boil.

I then pitched two packs of rehydrated S-05 at 20 degrees.

And then had a brain fritz and chucked in 1/4 gallon of unboiled wort from the mash tun.

Is lacto souring likely/certain? Should I consider preemptive action like pasteurising the brew and repitching? Or could I end up with a drinkable sour :)

If I just wait and see and things go pear shaped, is it easy enough to get stainless steel gear free of lacto?

Appreciate any tips,
B

Did you mash out? What temp and for how long? That could determine whether you had enough time and temp for pasteurization.

If the wort was sitting around in the mash tun for a while (and cooled down), my guess is it picked up some garbage. Maybe the high IBU's will keep the beer from going off, but all I can say is that that was a pretty boneheaded move. You were drinking, weren't you?

Nuclear option would be to reboil the entire contents of the fermenter, recool, and repitch. That'd work, but it'd be a serious pain in the ass.

Failing that, I wonder if pitching extra yeast, maybe with some yeast nutrient, would help get the fermentation going vigorously enough to overwhelm anything that would start to grow until the alcohol had built up a bit. If so, then you'd still probably want to get the batch drunk up sooner rather than later, since my understanding is that brett and other wild yeast can keep chugging along slowly. Anyone else want to weigh in?

The yeast should get a head start on any strays, I would let it ferment and get it in a keg or bottle sooner rather than later, say two weeks than store it cold. Consume fresh and I don't think you will have issues. Storing at room temp will give any strays the opportunity to take hold.

Rdwhahb

Thanks folks - keep it coming :)

When I say mash tun, I was simplifying what I was doing :) I was pretty tired after battling with a new robobrew.com.au single vessel mash/kettle, had drawn off an excess litre before boiling intending to chuck it away. But when the boil ended up short after I had chilled and pitched, I just had a stupid extract-memory-flashback-fritz at the very end where you can chuck in wort without boiling and didn't stop to think :( 5 seconds after chucking it in I went 'oh oh!'

I attempted a 75 degree mash out for 10m in the kettle, but suspect that didn't raise the mash temp consistently that high. The unboiled addition was 20 degrees Celsius.

Perhaps I should just sample it from the FV daily, and if all goes well, bottle and drink quickly if it's tasting ok?

B

I wouldn't stress on it until I knew I had a problem. You may be fine. You're probably more likely to be fine.

Let it ride.

If you do get an infection please post it.

All the Best,
D. White

Back