wholly cow..its still bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETOHonboard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a belgian trippel about 2 1/2 weeks ago and it is still active in the fermenter and not looking to stop any time soon. The recipe is as follows:
7lbs lme (supposed to be 6...whoops!)
14oz. Pale malt (steeped)
1.0lb munich malt (steeped)
2.0oz victory malt (steeped)
2.5lbs cane sugar(15mins.)
.25oz. coriander(2mins.)
.5oz fuggles (60 mins.)
.25oz liberty (15mins.)
.5oz saaz (0mins.)
WLP500 Trappist yeast
O.G. -1.090 (supposed to be1.072...probably due to extra lb of lme)
I steeped my grains for 30min at 155 then boiled for 60min. Its been fermenting at a constant 68 degrees.
My questions are is this too long to be active in the fermenter?
Will the yeast survive long enough to finish the job? And do you think this beer is destined to be an epic fail?

I'd be more concerned about the 2.5lbs of cane sugar than the extra pound of LME. Just have to be sure the yeast used can stand up to high ABV. *PS-just looked up that Trappist ale yeast. It does indeed have a high ABV tolerance. Typical 65-72F temp range,high attenuation (75-80%),but low-medium flocculation. All that sugar should dry it out some,even with the extra lb of LME. It may take 4 weeks or more to munch through all that,though.

I did Belgian beer and it bubbled away for 20 days. Blew off three times in the first few and then just settled into a steady chug, chug, chug, bubbling through the blow off tube for the full 20 days. It has been in the fermenter for 4 1/2 weeks now and I just took a gravity reading and it is right where it was supposed to be. Tasted great too. I am going to bottle it next week.

Don't worry and let the yeast do its job. It will be fine.

BTW I used Wy3787.

THat yeast is a high gravity yeast. It can probably support up to around 14% I think. No just let it keep going.

I have not taken another hydrometer reading. Thanks for the reassurance. I don't know what I would do without this forum. Probably wouldn't be able to sleep:)

If you're worried, take a hydrometer reading and see. I usually do one about once a week just to check on progress.

I have not taken another hydrometer reading. Thanks for the reassurance. I don't know what I would do without this forum. Probably wouldn't be able to sleep:)

After drinking a few of those,you won't have one bit of trouble sleeping! It's fallin in the right place that counts!:drunk::cross::tank:

My belgian triple does the same thing...using WLP530. OG is1.82 and i get it down to 1.011. Takes it almost 3 weeks to ferment, then I leave it for another week. It also blows off like crazy for 1-2 weeks, its unreal... i was shocked the first time I brewed it. This is all at controlled temps too, i keep it at 68F.

So to answer your question: Yeah its normal... don't worry and just let the yeast do its job.

Back