Whole leaf dry hop questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyennie

Reaction score
I want more aroma than I am getting from dry hopping.

Here is what I currently do:
After secondary I transfer the beer to a corny keg. Then add 1.5 oz whole leaf centennial to a weighted paint strainer bag. After putting the lid on the keg I purge the air out of the keg and pressurize with CO2. Then I'll leave the beer for 7 to 9 days at either 68 or 42 degrees (depending on if i also have a lager fermenting). After 7 to 9 days I de pressurize the keg, open the lid and remove the hops while getting most of the beer out of the soaked hops. Then put the lid back on, purge, pressurize to 2.2 volumes of CO2.

I get good aroma but I want more. What should I change??? More hops, longer time dry hopping, different type of hops (pellets) or ...

I'd say more hops if you want more. Longer time can result in unpleasant smells.

As for different hops, maybe the hop you're using just isn't the strength/characteristic you want?

More hops. I dryhopped a Citra IPA I made with 4 oz three days ago. Just pulled off the airlock for a sniff, and oh my it's heavenly.

Are you letting the hops sit stagnant, or rotating the keg?

I shake, roll, flip, etc. Leaf hops will soak up beer at first, and so they require some agitation.

Latest posts

Back