Who Re;uses there Yeast ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karljrberno

Reaction score
Why and What method ?

I am planing on re;using my Yeast from previous batch , By pitching my
Wort on rite on top of the yeast from the batch I pull off of it .(Good Idea Or Not ) ?

I do sometimes. Usually I'm lazy and just toss the yeast cake instead of washing and saving it.

I do it to save money on yeast... and I find it satisfying to make my beer using yeast I harvested from another batch instead of a packet of yeast.

I buy yeast twice a year, so I reuse a LOT of yeast!

I simply save the yeast cake in mason jars, and use them as needed.
Right now I have a 10 gallon batch of hoppy red ale using second generation yeast (from one package), that made enough yeast for about four batches.

You probably don't want to pitch on the whole yeast cake except in rare circumstances, and here's some food for thought: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/why-not-pitch-your-yeast-cake-166221/

I've been doing it for quite awhile. Do yourself a favor though... pull about half of the trub from the fermenter before you pitch on top of it. If you pitch on top of the entire thing, you'll be over pitching and you're fermentation will be far too rigorous.

*Their

Reusing yeast is the way to go. Saves 15 bucks a batch (2 vials of liquid yeast for a smaller starter). If you make your starters 500 ml bigger than they are supposed to be, you can harvest off of your starter. Saves the hassle of trying to wash yeast before saving it. This thread tells you how.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/yeast-harvesting-novel-approach.html

I've done this for several batches and it works great. way easier than washing.

I do what Yooper does. I just pour the yeast cake into sanitized mason jars and store in my keezer. Easy peasy!

*Their

Reusing yeast is the way to go. Saves 15 bucks a batch (2 vials of liquid yeast for a smaller starter). If you make your starters 500 ml bigger than they are supposed to be, you can harvest off of your starter. Saves the hassle of trying to wash yeast before saving it. This thread tells you how.

This is the answer. Washing yeast is for the birds. Make your starter a little bigger than you need, save some of it, use it for the next time you brew.

I personally re-use my White Labs vials, or put it into soda bottle preform blanks (which are the same thing).

Washing yeast is a few steps... but they are easy steps.

Doing the starter harvesting is easier. This is true. Perhaps I'll do both :) Then I'll have a TON of yeast. :D

WLP001 is one I keep on hand. LHBS sells vials for $9. That's huge savings just for 1 vial.

I'm going to get a few other strains in storage as well (Irish Ale, English Ale, perhaps a belgian strain).

I personally re-use my White Labs vials, or put it into soda bottle preform blanks (which are the same thing).

That's a genius idea. I've been using small mason jars which take up too much space in the fridge (no ferm-chamber fridge yet :( )

Any good source for these? I'm thinking this will be a great way to be able to give other local homebrewers yeast in exchange for a bottle or two of homebrew! :ban:

I use the Brulosophy method (make starters a little bigger than you need, harvest from that for next time). I love it.

Cheers.

*Their

Yep - this works great. Been doing it for a couple years on and off. I tend to harvest from my starters if I am doing bigger beers, or really hoppy beers with a lot of hop material that will be in the fermenter. If I am brewing a low gravity, low hop beer..... Then I often harvest from the fermenter into 2-3 mason jars for storage.

I like trying out different yeasts. If it wasn't so damn expensive, I'd split every batch and pitch a brand new strain. I try to reuse yeast when I can, but I don't brew often enough to keep a steady supply of harvested yeast. Today I made my first agar slants, I hope I can save some money that way.

I grow a starter with (estimated) 100-150 billion extra cells, pour the extra in a quart mason jar and store in fridge for later use. I sanitize my jars by boiling for 15 minutes and filling with Star San solution until used. I don't bother reusing the yeast cake after fermentation and retire the yeast to the local wastewater treatment plant via the porcelain slip'n slide.

Back