who knew oxi clean was carcinogenic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
http://www.sustainablebabysteps.com/oxiclean.html

Clearly this is a tree hugger site, and they are guilty of sensationalism, but the bit about the surfactants did make me think a second, partly because I don't really know enough to call BS on the particular chemicals being safe or dangerous, and partly because I avoid surfactants in my brewery in general. Maybe I should switch to PBW or look for plain sodium percarbonate. Anyone want to split 18 lb?

http://www.amazon.com/Sodium-Percarbonate-Uncoated-Kosher-18-5/dp/B00GP2JZKI

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know a lot of chemistry either, only a couple classes taken. However, not even their information states that any of the components of oxiclean is a carcinogen, but rather a chemical used to make one of the components might be...

I do as much as I can to save the Earth. In that way, I guess I'm a bit of a hippie. I recycle religiously, I compost, I buy organic when I can, and I will actually base my purchases on packaging at times... But this is ridiculous. It's a stretch at best. Personally, I think it's a ******* hippie who likes to hear herself (himself?) talk just making noise.

It's quite a stretch to claim that a mix of chemicals is carcinogenic just because one of the precursors to a minor component of the mix is carcinogenic. This is just bogus.

Brew on :mug:

294ae2ae-2c57-47df-9ccd-b8453052b21c.jpeg

Also polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons are carcinogens, so there goes all roasted *everything*, and nitrosamines are carcinogenic, so there goes all smoked foods. Lest we forget, alcohol itself is carcinogenic, and the acetylaldehyde it converts into engages the liver's P450 cytochrome system which is inflammatory and carcinogenic...

Something that definitely needs to be said is: everything, literally everything, is a poison, depending on the dose. Some poisons are acceptable and some aren't.

Also, the first sentence you run into at that blog should clue the reader into the fact that it's garbage:

"Give me 7 days and I'll have you so crunchy you'll have to change your name to Moonbeam. (Plus, you'll get inbox love from me. And everybody loves my inbox love.)"

It's a blog. I'd say to take it with a grain of salt, but the grain of salt would be about the size of the picture attached.

Salt-lick_4_beentree.jpg

Honestly, I'd be surprised if you could find one manufactured item that DIDN'T contain a carcinogen.

Uh oh, anyone know if PBW is too? I know its somewheat similar to oxyclean but formulated specifically for brewing purposes. I'd guess it rinses easier and has less flavor or scent

Almost on cue Zymergy had a great article this past issue about toxicology. Be careful about alarmist articles that don't reference toxicity as a function of concentration. Anything and everything is toxic at the right concentration. The concentrations of Oxyclean after rinsing are likely so low they come no where close to toxic.

Consider that these kind of articles are very similar to the crap spewed by the food babe (aka. the food moron)

Why am I getting flashbacks to when my friend refused to eat at subway because 'they put yoga mats in their bread'?

Latest posts

Back