who else is happy white labs is in a pack and not a tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABVIBUSRM

Reaction score
white labs is a great product but i hated the vials cause its like opening a bottle of shaken seltzer sometimes..im happy they are in packs now how bout you? Mind you i never used a WL pack yet.. plus they grow the yeast in the same pack it is sold in genius

I just really like the tubes. Not because of convienance but because they look cool.

You could really wash them out and use the. For really cool shooters/shot glasses at parties

I liked the tubes too. Never had issues with them but, then again I always remembered to "burp" them like a soda bottle.

1) I prefer the tubes to Wyeast packets. I haven't yet to receive a White Labs packet. ('ll be ordering a WLP007 in mid December.)
It's an arthritis thing. I can twist better than I can tear/cut.

2) No, you don't have to send the tubes to White Labs, just soak off the labels.

Hope you still have the tubes, because you can return them to White Labs for stuff...

Check out their Customer Club.

Been doing that for years, but I just peel the label and return it. You don't need to return the tube.

I haven't seen the new packs at the LHBS yet but they look nice.

I liked the tubes, this sounds like an improvement.
Will the new packaging impact the shelf life of the yeast?
Because the PurePitch packaging is breathable, CO2 pressure is reduced, improving the viability of the yeast over time. We hope to be able to extend the recommended best before date on our products, but are still conducting tests to validate any extended shelf life benefits due to our new packaging. We hope to have more information soon.

The brewing network did a really cool interview with the guy from white labs that helped develop this, you guys should check it out.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/1099

I remember hearing they've done viability tests at 6 months after production and find the same amount of live and healthy yeast.

I'm about to get into using liquid yeast.. or attempt it...

I do small two gallon batches and was hoping to be able to split the vials of yeast in half.... would this be possible with the packets?

It just isn't very cost effective using an entire vial on a small two gallon batch... unless I'm doing a big stout or something like that..

I do small two gallon batches and was hoping to be able to split the vials of yeast in half.... would this be possible with the packets?

It just isn't very cost effective using an entire vial on a small two gallon batch... unless I'm doing a big stout or something like that..

Thing is, if you run the numbers thru a yeast calculator, you'll likely find that the viable number of cells in a tube (or pack) are just about right for a 2-gallon batch without a starter. So do this - make a starter, then split that. If you're brewing another batch in a short while, use the other half for that. If it's going to be a while, just make another starter, and split it again.

Actually using a vial on a 2-2.5 gallon batch is the exact amount of yeast needed. You generally need about 200 billion cells and the vials only have 100 billion so you are actually grossly underpitching if using 1 vial for a 5 gallon batch.

Ah... thanks for the info guys... you people are smart!

Well... that makes things much more simple.... I guess to save money I'll need to learn how to wash and save yeast when I'm done....

Or harvest yeast directly from a starter, no washing necessary.

Ah... thanks for the info guys... you people are smart!

Well... that makes things much more simple.... I guess to save money I'll need to learn how to wash and save yeast when I'm done....

See my response above...much easier than washing. I even do this for 5 gallon batches. I make a starter 500ml bigger than I need, then decant the extra for my next starter. There was a great article on this in here a while back. In fact, I'm looking at doing this - buy a vial/pack of a yeast that I want to use for several batches, and make a 1.5L starter...split 3 ways, and then use each of those for starters for new batches. I may even try repeating the 500ml trick on subsequent batches if it's a yeast I really like using.

You make a good point. Plus, you ended up with drawers full of tubes that were too cool to throw away, but hard to figure out what they could be re-purposed for!
I soaked one last night so I could fill with a sample from my last batch, run a bolt through the cap, and use it as a tap handle.

...not my idea, I saw someone else do that here on the forums somewhere.

My LHBS still has the vials.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Since they say the packets are breathable to release Co2 pressure, wouldn't that mess with longevity? Does this mean to say the Co2 can escape, but o2 can't get in?

Is that beer in your avatar brewed with yeast bay belgian dry ale yeast?

Unfortunately, it's not my beer in the avatar. A friend sent me the picture a couple months ago hinting he wanted me to brew my Imperial Pumpkin Ale, and I thought it would make a seasonally appropriate avatar.

Since they say the packets are breathable to release Co2 pressure, wouldn't that mess with longevity? Does this mean to say the Co2 can escape, but o2 can't get in?

According to Chris White, CO2 in the sealed vials were actually detrimental to the yeast. The new packages allow CO2 to escape but Oxygen does not permeate into the package because the CO2 is pushing outwards.

I, for one, am looking forward to the new packaging. I just hope they continue the Customer Club!

According to Chris White, CO2 in the sealed vials were actually detrimental to the yeast. The new packages allow CO2 to escape but Oxygen does not permeate into the package because the CO2 is pushing outwards.

I, for one, am looking forward to the new packaging. I just hope they continue the Customer Club!

according to the white labs website...

"Welcome to the White Labs Customer Club!

(Please note: Customer club redemptions will remain the same regardless if one is redeeming traditional vial or PurePitch)."

I wish I knew about this program!

according to the white labs website...

"Welcome to the White Labs Customer Club!

(Please note: Customer club redemptions will remain the same regardless if one is redeeming traditional vial or PurePitch)."

I wish I knew about this program!

I went to see after I responded and saw that there was no change, other than PurePitch being added. I've been collecting my vial labels since I started using liquid yeast about 3 years ago.

Here's one I just installed. I drilled a hole in the cap & dropped it onto the faucet, then threaded a nut on top. I took the first pour off the keg and filled the tube, put some tape over the top, inverted it & screwed it into the cap.

The label goo is incredibly difficult to get off. I ended up using brake fluid.

uOXuujIl.jpg

might even look good with the label on showcasing the yeast you used, i guess itd be upside down though

As to the pack or vial... I don't care as long as I get good yeast. I use WL Wyeast and dry yeast. I don't care which if it is a strain I want to use.

Latest posts

Back