White wine has orange colour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skitch

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've made many red wine kits over the past few years and recently tried a white wine kit (Pinot Grigio). Fermentation was robust and the wine has been clearing for 10 days so far. The wine looks quite clear but has a light orange colour. The are no unusual smells or off flavour. Any ideas what's causing the colour and if it's an issue I should be concerned with?

image-2479312654.jpg

It's not orange. It looks like that in the carboy, but if you take out a small sample and put it in a glass, it will be much more of a "white" color and not as golden. Try it, to be sure, but I think the color is fine.

Yooper said:
It's not orange. It looks like that in the carboy, but if you take out a small sample and put it in a glass, it will be much more of a "white" color and not as golden. Try it, to be sure, but I think the color is fine.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice Yooper.

Make sure that you cover the carboy, white wine exposed to light, that can also be damaging and change the color.

Back