White wheat vs. 6 Row malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcorn

Reaction score
So I recently made a really tastey cream ale with 78% 6 row and 22% flaked corn. Was wondering if I could replace the 6 row with white wheat to possibly improve the beer. Really wondering what the big difference in 6 row and white wheat is though. Both seem to taste grainy to me which is what I enjoy in this recipe along with the corn flavoring. What would wheat add that 6row could not? More body maybe? I would like a more "creamy" mouthfeel and taste.

So I recently made a really tastey cream ale with 78% 6 row and 22% flaked corn. Was wondering if I could replace the 6 row with white wheat to possibly improve the beer. Really wondering what the big difference in 6 row and white wheat is though. Both seem to taste grainy to me which is what I enjoy in this recipe along with the corn flavoring. What would wheat add that 6row could not? More body maybe? I would like a more "creamy" mouthfeel and taste.

Sounds like a fun experiment. I don't know the degrees Lintner of white wheat off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure it has a petty robust diastatic power. If you did BIAB you could do all wheat if you wanted, since you don't have to lauter.

Yea I always do all wheat on my recipes since I am doing bib. So taste wise this really should not be much different? Wheat has always seemed to taste "grainy" to me anyways?

I always get great efficiency on my all wheat beers too. It seems more user friendly (for biab only of course). Of course my ph is always within the range of 5.2-5.5

I love my brew in a bags. I will never go back to the traditional way. So much nicer

Back