White labs Yorkshire yeast for a RIS, with WLP090

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goyagon

Reaction score
I'm am brewing a RIS with the platinum strain Yorkshire Yeast. It does not have very good attenuation for the style but i believe it will give a very good flavor profile. It has an alcohol tolerance of 9%. I believe adding WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast will help me get better attenuation, without changing the flavor of my beer. When should i add the WLP090 to the fermentation process? During secondary or during primary if the fermentation stalls? How will adding a second yeast affect the ageing of the beer? I plan to age this beer for a few months, and taste. Should i just use the Yorkshire Yeast and see how it turns out.

This is the recipe i am using.

Grains:
13 lb Pale malt
1.5 lb Roasted Barley
1 lb Chocolate
.5 lb Carafa II
.5 lb Pale Chocolate
.5 lb Special B

4 oz Challenger 60 Minutes
2 oz Fuggles (UK) 60 Minutes
107 IBU

My OG was 1.084 with an estimated FG of 1.019 With Yorkshire Square Yeast
and 8.5% ABV, and a 1.011 FG and 9.6% ABV with WLP090.

I could also use Super High Gravity or Dry English Yeast or any other high attenuation yeast strain I'm looking for high 70s to 80s. What have any of you used to finish or achieve drier fermentation.

Back