White fungus on my hops & yellow spots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kblankenship11

Reaction score
I planted seven hop plants this year. Most of them are doing very well for first year hops. However one of them is giving me trouble. The hop cones have little white spots on it and the leaves have yellow spots all over them.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before on their hops and had any solution to it? I'm not that concerned this year but I'm interested in preventing it next year.

2013-08-27 12.42.41.jpg

2013-08-27 12.42.52.jpg

Could be spider mites... flip the leaves over and look for very fine silk and/or bugs you can barely see with the naked eye. Not sure there's much you'll be able to do about them... soap and/or this stuff called neem oil are supposed to help, but you probably don't want either on your developing hop cones. I've got a second-year centennial and a first-year cascade that are getting eaten alive by the little b*stards; hoping I can keep 'em down by soaping/neem'ing early next year, before the bines start throwing burrs.

If it is spider mites your best bet is to pull them and dry them.

Maybe someone else can speak to it, there must be a way to get them suckers dead so they cant eat your leaves once picked.

Maybe dry them, then freeze them asap? This should kill all of the mites, sure they will be inside the hop cone still but that shouldn't affect anything.

Could be spider mites... flip the leaves over and look for very fine silk and/or bugs you can barely see with the naked eye. Not sure there's much you'll be able to do about them... soap and/or this stuff called neem oil are supposed to help, but you probably don't want either on your developing hop cones. I've got a second-year centennial and a first-year cascade that are getting eaten alive by the little b*stards; hoping I can keep 'em down by soaping/neem'ing early next year, before the bines start throwing burrs.

Ok thanks. So you do that early in the season?

Back