whiskey chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason_g

Reaction score
So here is my idea.
I want to brew a whiskey stout which isnt hard. My idea is saute\flambada wood chips in whiskey. I know from being a cook for a few years that the alcohol will cook off and I know from having a few brews under my belt that this will also sanitize my chips but what I dont know is if this will affect the end result in a bad way. Im pretty sure I wont char the chips and I am sure the chips will hold up.

Another idea is to caramalize the chips with a little brown sugar in a pan and soak them in whiskey.

Has anyone done any of this and what was the pros and cons...

Why do you need to flambe` or caramelize the chips?
The whiskey will sanitize the chips, and soak into the wood and provide flavor to your beer.
You can buy medium toast oak chips at your LHBS or online, soak them in whiskey, and add both to the fermentor and end up with a good beer with lots of caramel and vanilla flavors from the oak.
You could also buy untoasted oak chips, toast them in the oven, then add them to whiskey to soak and use as above.
Check out the threads below for more info.

Back