Whirlpool arm in *bottom* port?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryojin

Reaction score
Hi All, my 15gal brew kettle has 3 ports; current configuration is: ball valve (bottom #1), sight glass (bottom #2), and thermometer (middle). I am thinking of removing the sight glass and instead installing a whirlpool return arm, however most of them are designed for top ports, with the arm pointing down. Do you see any issues with installing a whirlpool return arm in a bottom port in which the arm faces *up*? Note the top of the whirlpool arm would still have a 90-degree bend, so I'd imagine that clogging wouldn't really be an issue... I just haven't seen anyone with a pot configuration that way so I was wondering if there are any gotchas/issues I should be aware of. Thoughts?

URL of product I am looking at is below.

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/whirpoolthreadin.htm

Look at putting a dip tube in the thermo port and turn it 90degrees to create a whirlpool. I am looking at possibly doing the same thing when I step up to a pump configuration.

As long as its below liquid level, i dont see why it would matter... Unless it would disturb the goal of creating a cone of trub. You could possibly add a T to you thermometer port and put the return there and keep your sightglass, depending on if you just have a stubby thermometer or thermowell.

Also, be sure to point it correctly as per which hemisphere you reside in(which way your toliet spins upon flushing).

Oh no, not the Coriolis effect thing again. Quick poll, which way did everyone's toilet spin? It's not the same even if we're all in the same hemisphere.

Had heard it wasn't effective on liquid, or extremely minimally, but never Google's into it. Ah ha! Not effective on my poop. My farts on the other hand? Confirmed.

Back