whirlflock is this right ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iasquith

Reaction score
So I used whirlflock for the first time yesterday , making an IPA I added ! tablet 15 mins before end of boil then stirred vigorously for 2 mins I took the 20liter batch directly to my ice bath after 1 hour it was down to 18c but when I took off the lid it was as if there where jelly fish in there!
I was expecting to see a clear wort with a nice tight trub underneath.
when I started to drain into fermentor soon the system I have for straining the trub
blocked up I ended up bailing out by hand taking lots of tub\ hop powder as well .
Now in the fermentor there are things happening that I have never seen before lots of movement up and down of large masses of proteins I guess .
Does all this sound familiar and I need to rethink my straining process or is it all doomed thanks Ian

You will always get hop matter and cold break if you drain through a valve or at least I always do. Now I let the wort sit after chilling and rack off the top and leave all that junk behind.

I'm lazy and just boil down to 6 gals and then rack 5 gals of clear wort off after letting the hot and cold break settle out for an hour in ales, o/n in lagers.

GT

Yeah, I recently used Whirlfoc for the first time and noticed a huge difference vs. plain Irish moss. I'd say at least it's necessary for the wort to sit longer than normal before racking to the fermenter, so the break settles.

Thanks for the replies I am pretty sure that it was that I didnt wait long enough for the cold break to settle ,( without using whirlflock at this time it would have been settled allready ) I have read that it is risky to let the wort stand for too long in case of contamination . In hindsight it was beggining to clear and fall but anyway the cold break went to the fermenter and the yeast where very happy , it was a bit ugly in there yesterday but now it looks like a normal brew again the stuffs falling out nicely so I have re-modified my extracter valve so as to not block up (i hope) and lets see next time . cheers

For the most part I use whole hops and just stick my auto siphon into the cold wort. The whole hops act as a filter and I get pretty clear wort going into the fermenter. When I use pellet hops I whirpool and let settle, racking from the side of my kettle.

boo boo said:
For the most part I use whole hops and just stick my auto siphon into the cold wort. The whole hops act as a filter and I get pretty clear wort going into the fermenter. When I use pellet hops I whirpool and let settle, racking from the side of my kettle.

+1 on that I do the same

Not sure why, but I never see much of a cold/hot break in my brews. Even when using Irish moss and Whirlfloc and cooling quickly.

talking with a brewer at my local brewery recently he was saying that their base malts have been having higher amounts of protein recently. I watched the grant during vorlof and you could see "ghost" globs floating in spots

Benny Blanco said:
Not sure why, but I never see much of a cold/hot break in my brews. Even when using Irish moss and Whirlfloc and cooling quickly.

You mean you get nothing like this in your wort?
http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/nflder/?action=view&current=DSCI0075.jpg is from a bo-pils I did recently.

Last year I was told by someone who worked in a grain storage silo, that the protien levels had risen from about 12% to 13% or more in malted barley. That would give even more break.

Latest posts

Back