Which strain of Penicillium roqueforti?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

estricklin

Reaction score
Getting ready to order some mold powders, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the different strains of Penicillium Roqueforti, such as PA, PV and PJ?

I'm looking to make a Stilton and beyond that I don't have any particular style in mind, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Most of the recipes I see call for the PV strain. I bought the PV strain but have not used it yet.

https://www.thecheesemaker.com/products/Penicillium-Roqueforti.html

• PA Strain has a piquant aroma, extended shelf life, medium-fast growing rate and slightly tough consistency. Used to make mild Blue cheeses such as Roquefort and is a great choice for hard blue cheeses.
  • PV Strain grows quickly and has a creamy consistency, strong tolerance to salt and a piquant aroma. Make Blue cheese including Roquefort, strong Gorgonzola and Danablu.
  • PJ Strain has an expected blue flavor, middle-green color and grows fast.

Getting ready to order some mold powders, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the different strains of Penicillium Roqueforti, such as PA, PV and PJ?

I'm looking to make a Stilton and beyond that I don't have any particular style in mind, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I've made really nice stiltons with PV. Haven't used the others.

Thanks in advance.

It's pretty easy to quickly grow your own PR mold at home. I used agar agar plates, but you can just use a piece of bread in a baggie. You start with a piece of blue cheese from the market. Find one you like, grow the mold, you'll have more than enough for your own cheese.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/propagating-penicillium-roqueforti.642689/#post-8181417

Back