Which kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elleric

Reaction score
So I am upgrading to full boils soon and I am looking at kettles.

I think I have narrowed it down to two:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...ent/brew-kettles/boilermaker-brew-kettle.html

Or
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...tles/megapot-with-ball-valve-brewmometer.html

The blichmann is about 100 dollar more and while I don't mind paying for good construction and/or added features I wonder if the build quality, sight glass, dip tube and shape are worth the added price? And are those added features (particularly the sight glass) worth the addition of a new possible failure point? (I am a clutz sometimes)

I'll probably end up with the same question for burners now that I think about it. Between a blichmann and a banjo burner.

Thanks!

If the sight glass is something that you think you'll need then the Blichmann is a good option. I've only heard good things about the protection the Blichmann uses for their sight glasses. If you don't need the sight glass then save the $100.

Before pulling the trigger on anything I'd recommend checking out our kettles as well. :mug:

If you're only going to use it for boiling your wort, I don't see the need for either a thermometer (there's only one temperature you want to hit, and you'll know when you hit it without a thermometer) or a sight glass (your lid should be off anyway). Both of those features are nice for a HLT, but IMO unnecessary in a boiling kettle.

Two features I think are important are multi-clad construction (for both heat distribution and ease of clean up) and VOLUME -- more than you think you'll need. I usually make 6 gallon batches, but I have a 15 gallon pot. This lets me do a full-tilt boil without constant babysitting to prevent boil-overs, and also lets me do the occasional 10 gallon batch (although then it's back to babysitting).

Between those two choices I'd go with the Megapot.

Most brewers don't use a site gauge in their boil kettle. The Megapot is the same product carried by MoreBeer. The Megapot is just slightly thicker and has TIG welded fittings plus the aluminum sandwiched bottom.
The Blichmann has a smaller footprint, nicer valve and a flexible thermometer.

The Banjo and Blichmann are the same burner.

I hope this helps.

Most brewers don't use a site gauge in their boil kettle. The Megapot is the same product carried by MoreBeer. The Megapot is just slightly thicker and has TIG welded fittings plus the aluminum sandwiched bottom.
The Blichmann has a smaller footprint, nicer valve and a flexible thermometer.

The Banjo and Blichmann are the same burner.

I hope this helps.

I'm 99% sure the MegaPots use weldless valves and thermos.

I disagree on a couple things from a previous poster: A thermometer on your boil kettle is one of the handiest things you can spend your money on if you're using an immersion chiller, IMO and I consider the multi-clad bottoms a waste of money since your boiling wort is in constant motion.
Now volume is money well spent - go bigger than you think you'll need.
One not so great thing on the smaller megapots is the large diameter compared to the height (i.e. higher boil off rate).

I disagree on a couple things from a previous poster: A thermometer on your boil kettle is one of the handiest things you can spend your money on if you're using an immersion chiller

Very good point.

I consider the multi-clad bottoms a waste of money since your boiling wort is in constant motion.

All I know is that I used to have to scrub scorched wort off my old, non-clad SS kettle, and have never had to do so with my clad kettle.

With out the sight glass what is the best way to measure the wort from the mlt to know when you have hit your volume? With the sight glass I assume you just stop once the glass level reaches the desired level... I guess a stick with markings for various levels would work? But seems inaccurate at best.

I like a sight gauge in my kettle too. I also have a thermometer in my kettle.

image-1249901436.jpg

elleric said:
With out the sight glass what is the best way to measure the wort from the mlt to know when you have hit your volume? With the sight glass I assume you just stop once the glass level reaches the desired level... I guess a stick with markings for various levels would work? But seems inaccurate at best.

When I used why turkey pot I took me mashing spoon, added 1/2 gallon at a time to my pot and marked every 1/2 gallon on the spoon. It was kinda lame, but it was free and allowed me to put that money towards the blichmann I have now.

I guess a stick with markings for various levels would work? But seems inaccurate at best.

This is no less accurate than a sight gauge. Remember, you'll need to account for expansion of the wort due to heat and then while cooling, the volume taken up by the chiller. IMO a sight gauge is worthless on a boil kettle. Just something else you need to clean.

I have the blichmann 15 gallon. I gotta admit i use all the features on the boil kettle but its half function half bling

I bought a 15 gal kettle from Spikebrewing. I expect it to get here next week. Can't wait. I plan on sticking with 5 gal batches until I have a few good AG brews.

Handsaw said:
I bought a 15 gal kettle from Spikebrewing. I expect it to get here next week. Can't wait. I plan on sticking with 5 gal batches until I have a few good AG brews.

Your worst AG will be better than your best kit beers.

I use a 12 inch lab thermometer...Premeasure water in your kettle and record the water volumes. You can then extrapolate any volume without having to premeasure every level. I do this and hit my volumes almost exactly (within a few hundreths of a quart)

Back