Which hops lend piney/spicy aromas appripriate for IPAs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldschool

Reaction score
Not saying it's my favorite but I would like to incorporate that subtlety to some of my IPAs. I've seen descriptions for Simcoe being piney but I disagree totally. Thanks

Chinook is citrusy also, but with a flavor of pine. Simcoe is the same, wtih not so much "pine" but still very resiny under the citrus. If you don't like simcoe, you probably won't like chinook much better though.

Chinook is citrusy also, but with a flavor of pine. Simcoe is the same, wtih not so much "pine" but still very resiny under the citrus. If you don't like simcoe, you probably won't like chinook much better though.

Ok, great! Don't get me wrong I love simcoe but I get the tropical fruit way more than any pine like flavors or aromas. chinook is the winner so far.

You could give Willamette a try (Glacier would be another option - described as a citrusy version of Willamette). Maybe pair it with Cascade.

Willamette
Country of Origin: USA (USDA)
Noble: No
Uses: aroma, moderate bittering
Beer styles: English beer styles; American Pale Ale; American Brown Ale
Substitutions: Fuggle
Alpha Acids: 4 - 6%

Released from the U.S.D.A. hop breeding program in 1976, Willamette is a triploid (some sources say tetraploid) seedling of Fuggle bred to be easier to grow in the United States. It's still less vigorous than most modern hop varieties, but easier to grow in most areas than the very fussy Fuggle.

Willamette has a mild, grassy, floral and slightly spicy aroma similar to Fuggle, and is often used as a substitute, especially in the United States where Fuggle does not grow well. Willamette is extensively planted in the U.S. Pacific Northwest

Glacier
Country of Origin: Washington State, USA
Noble: No
Uses: bittering, aroma
Beer styles: American Pale Ales, IPA, ESB, Porters, Stouts
Substitutions: Willamette, Golding, Magnum
Alpha Acids: 3.3-9.7%

Released in 2000 from Washington State University, supposed to be a balanced bittering/aroma hop. Said to be a more citrusy version of Willamette.

Chinook I think of as spicy, peppery, and piney. Probably exactly what you are looking for. Simcoe to me is more citrus, heavy on the grapefruit +pine

Chinook for the win. Arrogant Bastard is one of my favorites and Chinook is in the closest thing I have to a house beer. Pine & spice with some attitude in the bittering. I pair it with a variety of crystal malts for a very balanced beer in the house brew that has morphed over time.

Latest posts

Back