Which drum machine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Br3w4u

Reaction score
I know strange place to ask this question but I am looking in to getting a drum machine for my home recording setup. Should I get an Alesis sr-18 or a Boss dr rhythm DR-3?

oberheim_dx.jpg
Oberheim DX!

Ahem.

The Roland TR-8 is a pretty good machine. The Scatter function it has is cool. Definitely old-school workflow.

The Akai XR-20 seems cool, but I've not had my hands or ears on it.

The SR-16 is a classic workhorse though.

Depends on your needs. I mostly used drum modules for sound, driven by a sequencer. I picked up a TR-8 a few years back to have a more tactile programming experience, and something standalone when I was too lazy to set things up properly.

Haha, no kidding ehh, but here we are and maybe I can help. I have had a lot of fun on a boss machine. My buddy and I used to produce tracks on it. I have also used computer programs. Man this stuff has come a long way. Wish I would have stuck with it. Used to take overnight to change the volume. Sry, the drum machine. How you want to use it matters. Do you want an instrument or all in or both. The more I delved into music making the more I realize why people have so much gear. Some sample, some play beats, some are best for instrumental live playing. I really wanted a korg work station and I still do, but ultimately went with the huge yamaha board because playing piano live with a band that is what I needed, a real piano instument. I notice still to this day most pros in bands using a similar one. That said even though it makes 3 thousand sounds and could score a movie I couldnt do it without a 64 track and protools. The more they pack into a machine the better your skills using them needs to be. Each button could have two or three functions. Sure they record, etc...but that isnt always easy and can be clunky. Honestly as a simple sketch book, I still like the idea of a fostex 4 track. Whats not to like, play, record, buttons all right there. So depends on what you want to do. A computer and a korg workstation wouldnt be the worst place to start imo. But if you want a pounder, bigger buttons, and available to import and or create new beats would be a plus. If you upload what you are considering I could take a look. And feel free to ask any more questions. I play with a phone app that is like an 808, 909 and has lots of other kits. To this day I still here there use. Jack antonoff from fun and the bleachers uses old boards and travels around with them. Talks about them at shows and on YouTube videos. So vintage is sweet. Ultimately you want all of it and full creative options. Almost every show I ever went to had those akai samplers. I have been out of the game a while though.

Edit...sorry just reread your post. Most of the above might not apply if you already have a studio setup, but I'll leave it for others. That boss dr rhythm has nice big buttons and is fun as hell. I think the alesis is similar designs. Go and play them all. Its hards to double tap small buttons with accuracy.

Checked out the dr 3 honestly the older 550 and 770 look better to me. The alesis looks better of the two. Those akai pads look sweet too. Korg stations look amazing. Not sure you need anything else with those. Pm afrolou he is an expert.

See I knew home brew talk would actually turn out to be the best place for this conversation LOL. I have used acid and fruity loops a lot and am pretty good with it but I just wanted to go back to something more...physical? I got a Tascam 24 track portable studio and I love it. I am currently using a Yamaha keyboard for drums but it’s very limited, only 3 drum sets and you have to get really creative with the keys. I run it through a wah and distortion pedal to make it more like a synthesizer. Pretty fun. I really like the Korg but don’t know if I want to jump out and spend $400+ right off if the cheaper systems will do what I need for now. I record mostly industrial and metal (trying for a ministry/skinny puppy sound) so I would like to have the ability to do double bass for the metal but I am sure the basic drum machine functions could get me what I want for the industrial sounds. I would also like the ability to get deep bass drops though and I think the Alesis comes closest to that. The problem is that I can’t find any stores that have any drum machines to try in person. Everything is on computers nowadays with the full Akai/protools setup and that’s exactly what I am trying to get away from. A guy at guitar Center suggested the Korg KR-55 it’s $300, I could get a used Roland TR-8 for $300, a new boss DR-3 for $190, or a used Alesis SR-18 for $144. I am leaning towards the SR-18. I also found a used SR-16 for $79.

You find way more drum machines on software now rather than hardware because there's not a real need for them. A lot of drum machines are recorded samples manipulated with controls on the drum machine. Far cheaper to use software and a hardware controller than keep up with individual units. Obviously the exceptions there are if you are really into sequencing with patterns or after a machine with unique controls.

If you want something physical I might suggest finding one of the early to mid-2000s grooveboxes. They have drum machine controls and pattern sequencing built in. They will have some drum sounds (although mostly generic sounds) but you can also use them as a controller for software samplers or drum machines to expand the soundscape. They also have synthesizers built in so that's another added benefit. You can find several of them for $150-200 online in good shape.

I record mostly industrial and metal (trying for a ministry/skinny puppy sound) so I would like to have the ability to do double bass for the metal but I am sure the basic drum machine functions could get me what I want for the industrial sounds.

Welly-welly-welly-well, old son. I tend to run along the same lines myself.

The TR-8 may be right in there for that. It's designed to run live, so there's a lot of direct, hands on operation to tweak sounds on the fly. Nothing like retuning a kick as it rumbles by!

One of the main reasons I picked it up was Scatter. Engage that and turn the depth knob to just run the sound though the wringer. Kinda like a bit-crusher.

It would also make a good front end for other modules, like driving the keyboard drums and combining that with the TR-8 sounds. Slap in the fx pedals for more variety and you should be set. The older Alesis Dx [3,4,etc] rack modules can be had pretty cheaply nowadays and have ridiculous amounts of sounds that the TR could be a good front end for ... possibilities abound!

Oddly enough, I was thinking about upgrading to the TR-8S, as it fits my needs a bit better and was trying to figure out what to do with the TR-8. It's in pristine condition with original box if you'd be interested.

20181212_114843.jpg 20181212_114911.jpg 20181212_114952.jpg 20181212_115040.jpg

I might have a bit of a problem...

Welly-welly-welly-well, old son. I tend to run along the same lines myself.

The TR-8 may be right in there for that. It's designed to run live, so there's a lot of direct, hands on operation to tweak sounds on the fly. Nothing like retuning a kick as it rumbles by!

One of the main reasons I picked it up was Scatter. Engage that and turn the depth knob to just run the sound though the wringer. Kinda like a bit-crusher.

It would also make a good front end for other modules, like driving the keyboard drums and combining that with the TR-8 sounds. Slap in the fx pedals for more variety and you should be set. The older Alesis Dx [3,4,etc] rack modules can be had pretty cheaply nowadays and have ridiculous amounts of sounds that the TR could be a good front end for ... possibilities abound!

Oddly enough, I was thinking about upgrading to the TR-8S, as it fits my needs a bit better and was trying to figure out what to do with the TR-8. It's in pristine condition with original box if you'd be interested.

View attachment 602074 View attachment 602075 View attachment 602076 View attachment 602077

I might have a bit of a problem...
Very nice! I can see my room looking like that soon! I have 2 guitars, a bass, a keyboard, 3 amps, my Tascam and monitors set up on a desk, and my good old fashioned stereo and CD player with stacks of cds (the new cassette tapes LOL) I have a weight bench and heavy bag in my room too though so it’s getting really crowded already. I made some room getting rid of my kegerator though. The TR8 sounds great I just don’t know if I want to spend that much right now.

The sad thing is that's not everything. There's a baby grand and organ in another part of the house, along with several other odds and ends...didgeridoos, accordions.. That rack is full on the other side. I really need to build a custom desk and racks to get everything properly organized. 25 years of collecting gear catches up when you never get rid of anything...

As soon as they build the damn thing, I've got a Moog One on the way... I'm also building a hurdy-gurdy...like I said, I might have a problem. :D

Wherever you were quoted $300 used for the TR-8, that's what they're going for new now. I was thinking significantly less.

@SoulToast where is acworth? I’m gonna move in next door to you! :rock:

GA, but moved last year not particularly far. Marietta now. Houses for sale nearby!

I like that alesis. That boss dr 3 looks to complicated and like they tried to put to many things into 1 unit. Any old or used drum machine will suit you well. The ability to snap things into time is useful . I would guess almost all the machines do that . My buddies boss 550? was awesome and they are about 140 used. Sad, there is no where to check them out? That alesis looks like it had nice sized buttons and lots of functions. Honestly I think that one would be fine. I was able to quickly find videos of people using all of these and that will help you make a decision to but that Alesis would be okay. Glad to help and you're right never know what people on homebrewtalk know.

I wonder if my friends was the Boss 202 dr. Groove. It played bass lines and drums if I'm correct. I think it was made by Roland even. He was a really good drummer and we made a lot of awesome techno music together. He checked them all out and this one was all we needed at that time. One of these older ones might do as well. Hope you update with what you found and some grooves.

I checked out some YouTube videos like you suggested and there were way more than I expected. The Alesis actually beat out the Korg on some tech review so that was surprising. I think I will go with the Alesis. When I get something finalized I will upload it to YouTube or something and post the link here. Oh and speaking of the hurdy gurdy @SoulToast you should check out the anarchestra on YouTube if you haven’t seen it https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCxz56R74PRMeZeZ_YFcUQAA/videos

For acoustic drums, I really like Steven Slate Drums. I have version 4. Can do a lot of different styles extremely well, including metal. If you want pads to trigger it, you can always pick up a standalone pad controller. I have the Korg PadKontrol and it works pretty well and is fairly cheap, but I'm mostly just writing midi in my DAW.

I don't do any electronic music, so obviously my recommendation is slanted from that point of view. For the styles you want to do, you might be better off with something less acoustic sample driven.

I’m not really concerned with how realistic the drums sound. I might even add effects to them. I ordered the Alesis SR-18 from guitar center yesterday. It’s supposed to be in today so I’m looking forward to doing some recording this weekend. Thanks everyone for your advice! :mug:

NOT names I ever expected to see dropped on HBT. Awesome. Put some Front Line Assembly in there and we’ve got a party.

(Look up the mix of Rodent by Ken Hiwatt.)
Frontline assembly, combichrist, front 242, revolting cocks, ohgr, mindless self indulgence, the birthday massacre....should I keep going?

The Alesis works great and has a lot of fun sounds on it as well as a whole lot of pre programmed beats. I just wish it had more buttons. The range of tones is limited but I guess that’s where my effects come in handy. Does anyone know how they get that fast snare repeat effect in some songs? Almost like a skipping effect. Maybe I can find a song with an example of what I mean.

In the beginning of the skinny puppy song fascist jock itch they do it. I’m trying to find a ministry song that uses it too because I know Al Jorgensen does it a lot.

At the end of thieves around the last 30 seconds of the song he does it a lot. Is the drummer just playing the snare really fast or is this a recording trick?

You play slower and speed up. The drum machines are cool, but complicated. You can learn to "snap" hits to time. So whatever you play is snapped to the closest and I think you choose, quarter notes, eighth, 16th and you are describing 32nds?

Some options then are play slow then speed up, snap to time, or loop and keep layering. With my right and left index and middle fingers or just index I can tap pretty fast one after another. Bet you can too.

You are inspiring me. I got to get my board out. I set up a 32 part little jam track on my phone and pos lost it. I love playing piano.

For easy 808 909 type programming I fart around with an app called electrum. I noticed today it records off mic to. Worth a peak, can download kits as well.

Does anyone know how they get that fast snare repeat effect in some songs? Almost like a skipping effect. Maybe I can find a song with an example of what I mean.

Have the snare roll on a fill, then crank the tempo. Easy when there's a dedicated knob on your machine. Not terribly hard to automate via MIDI, depends on what you're using for sequencing. Good excuse to have a controller with knobs.

Can also change the time scale, but that might be tricky on your machine.

Another approach would be a step sequencer, 64th note scale should give you all the resolution you'd need with minimal math.

I generally did all my drums in the sequencer, banging on keys and tying different sections together. Mostly in a copy of Micro Logic I bought somewhere around 1996. I guard that 3.5" floppy with my life.

I was trying to just hit the snare as fast as I could with both index fingers, didn’t really sound right. I like the idea of the knobs...hmm... I am still learning this machine but I don’t think it has that ability. That really isn’t a big deal though. I found out that you can scale up or down the 12 keys so it’s actually more like 36 keys just not all at once. I played around writing drum patterns for an hour last night and would get one and then find a different one I wanted to use LOL. I will get a full length song eventually!

Ok I think I figured out the snare thing. You can quantize a drum roll up to 1/32 and if that’s not enough it allows you to dub a second layer of 1/32 which I guess would be 1/64. I’ll try it tonight.

Yeah it has a 60 page manual so it takes some time to figure out but it’s not hard once you get the hang of it. The only thing that I don’t really like is you have to hold the roll button and the pad for the drum that you want to roll. I spent an hour last night trying to get my pattern just right but I got it eventually haha. It was 1/32 that I wanted too. I’m getting somewhere.

Thats it, you learn it inside and out. And then...own it. Full creative control and prowess. Ok sorry I am out in the weeds. My degree was in music. In the words of my guitar teacher, Im not pat metheny.

Thats it, you learn it inside and out. And then...own it. Full creative control and prowess. Ok sorry I am out in the weeds. My degree was in music. In the words of my guitar teacher, Im not pat metheny.
Maybe we can do a collaboration sometime.

Maybe we can do a collaboration sometime.
Yeah buddy. Man it used to take 3 hours to do a two decibel volume adjustment. I bet now you could do it over the internet. I'll play anything for you at any time for free. I I have no reason to charge you, but I will want obvious some ownership rights in the music. I could add all kinds of instrumentation to anything, but my main instruments are piano and guitar.

I don’t care about ownership rights haha you can have them. If you get famous mention me but I don’t plan on making money just music for fun. I absolutely hate doing vocals. No matter what effect I put on my voice I just don’t like it. I had my wife do the vocals to the track I’m working on now and it turned out pretty good. I have some more tweaking to do on it this weekend and I should have it up next week. I do have some short samples that I made and don’t know what to do with them. I will just send them to you and see what you can do with them if you want.

Would love to hear them. I love to sing! Damn, if only it sounded good. I have a wav of some 808 work, dont know how to share it. Starts good but gets bad half through.

I am working on uploading the finished recording to YouTube now. Never done it before so it might take a minute. PM me your email and I can send you some other things I am working on.

Oh and as for drum machines. I originally went with the Alesis SR-18 which is great but I wanted more so I now have a Roland TR-8s which I love. Also been diving in to synthesizers and it’s my new rabbit hole. I have a Korg minilogue and Arturia MiniBrute 2. I love them both!

See? What’d I tell ya? :D

I went on a little I-don’t-need-it-but-I-want-it binge and got myself a TR-8s, too! I’m still getting to grips with it, but really liking it so far. I do miss having Scatter on a dedicated control though. When I want dirt, I wanna be able to just reach out and toss a handful in.

But 8 variations, selectable auto fills, motion recording, and the ease of adding samples are a decent trade off. The display is way better, too. I don’t mind a limited display, but there are limits to limits.

That minilogue looks like a real hoot.

And the MiniBrute...start giving me patch points and I get a little weak in the knees. If you can solder, you can build your own modules to expand it.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. It’s deep, and full of voltage-controlled rabbits.

On the off chance you’ve got a Nintendo Switch, check out the Korg Gadget. I got it a couple weeks ago and it’s a lot of fun to screw around with. Theoretically multiplayer, but I’ve not tested that yet.

One of these days I’ll get some noise back up on the web. Last time I did, MySpace was still relevant...

Although there’s this, but it’s 40 seconds, thrown together with Animoog, and really only there to buffer the animation against something. What else do you do when you’ve got the day off in Birmingham and it’s raining?

Back