Which Brett for my saison?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewByBerg

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have finally come across a recipe for a hippy saison I want to try, but I also wanted to use some Brett to make this nice and funky.

Am I able to use multiple different strains (vials) of Brett to add to my fermentor?

I was planning on finding a saison yeast to ferment it out in primary, then add the Brett in secondary. I just wanted anyone's input on how they go about adding Brett to their beers!

Thanks!

I like adding brett in a secondary to minimize head space since you'll be aging it for a while. I use 5gal glass carboys for my brett beers

You can totally use any number of brett blends. Just pick what you want!

Gotta love a Hippy Saison..:p

I like Brett B for an earthy saison, can't beat that good ole barnyard funk!

Of course you can mix strains, that's half the game.

If you are hoppy not hippy than I'd say go for the Trois..ya ya it's not Brett anymore lol

Good luck
:tank:

Gotta love a Hippy Saison..:p

I like Brett B for an earthy saison, can't beat that good ole barnyard funk!

Of course you can mix strains, that's half the game.

If you are hoppy not hippy than I'd say go for the Trois..ya ya it's not Brett anymore lol

Good luck

:tank:

Lol sorry damn iPhone..

But would I create another yeast starter for the Brett or just dump it straight from the vial?

Also if I mix strains, do I dump the entire vial of each strain or do I use half and half?

There are a lot of options. I have just been adding the dregs from a couple bottles of Orval to may saisons lately.. Works great and you get to drink.a couple of. Orvals...

There are a lot of options. I have just been adding the dregs from a couple bottles of Orval to may saisons lately.. Works great and you get to drink.a couple of. Orvals...

I've read about doing that. I have 3 bottles of a Brett IPA that I dig, and I know they use Brett trois and a couple others...so would I just finish the bottle but leave the sediment behind, and just dump it straight into the secondary?

I've read about doing that. I have 3 bottles of a Brett IPA that I dig, and I know they use Brett trois and a couple others...so would I just finish the bottle but leave the sediment behind, and just dump it straight into the secondary?

Yes. I just spray the cap with starsan before I open it and then flame the lip after you pour. Swirl it up and dump it in the secondary.

Here is a good list of brews with bugs in them.

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/p/dreg-list.html

You can definitely just pitch everything at the same time into primary. There are blends of saison yeast and Brett, like the one we have at The Yeast Bay called Saison/Brettanomyces Blend or the one from East Coast Yeast called ECY Farmhouse Blend. Good way to not buy a bunch of things separately which is more expensive.

Like some have already mentioned, you can do a multitude of things with brett. Buying a blend would be the easiest, but if you intend to continue using brett than buying multiple strains wouldnt be a bad idea since you can experiment with them down the road. Since you will be adding the brett in secondary, there is really no need to make a starter unless you want to save some for future use. If buying more then one vial and mixing, I would suggest only pitching half of each vial and stepping up the other halves to save. I personally would recommend ECY34 but that is very difficult to get. Any of the brett blends from Wyeast, White Labs or Yeast Bay should be great. Good luck!

Like some have already mentioned, you can do a multitude of things with brett. Buying a blend would be the easiest, but if you intend to continue using brett than buying multiple strains wouldnt be a bad idea since you can experiment with them down the road. Since you will be adding the brett in secondary, there is really no need to make a starter unless you want to save some for future use. If buying more then one vial and mixing, I would suggest only pitching half of each vial and stepping up the other halves to save. I personally would recommend ECY34 but that is very difficult to get. Any of the brett blends from Wyeast, White Labs or Yeast Bay should be great. Good luck!

Thanks for the help, do you think it would be best if I used a saison strain for primary fermentation, transfer to secondary and then add a strain of Brett?

Thanks for the help, do you think it would be best if I used a saison strain for primary fermentation, transfer to secondary and then add a strain of Brett?

That is what I do. Works just fine. Brett does not need a lot to do its thing.

If you are interested in a lot of good info about brett. Watch these videos. There is a ton of good info in them. They are long but very good.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AjVOzBtE27Y[/ame]

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Swv294Xkbq8[/ame]

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9FtfPKRBUhA[/ame]

I thoroughly enjoy a good hippy saison (see my name) and I make one called Funky Saison. I pitch abby ale yeast for primary, once krausen falls, transfer to 5 gallon carboy and pitch brett b. Wait 6-8 months and enjoy! I have been playing with lots of Brett blends and strait brett c, but havnt used them in a saison yet

I thoroughly enjoy a good hippy saison (see my name) and I make one called Funky Saison. I pitch abby ale yeast for primary, once krausen falls, transfer to 5 gallon carboy and pitch brett b. Wait 6-8 months and enjoy! I have been playing with lots of Brett blends and strait brett c, but havnt used them in a saison yet

After just one week in primary, my saison with Belgian/saison blend from white labs has fallen to 1.008. Does this seem normal? Should I wait another week, transfer to secondary then add the Brett?

Add brett in secondary. I'd recommend Brett C is you're looking for something a little more subtle/fruity, Brux if you like barnyard funk, and wlp648 (Brett Brux Trois Vrai) for a more fruit forward approach with minimal funk.

Latest posts

Back