Which BJCP Category?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamWS

Reaction score
I just popped the first of what was supposed to be my "Chistmas" beer. It was delicious and I'd like to enter it in an upcoming local competition. However, I'm not really sure which category it should be entered in. Maybe you guys can help.
Basically I took my dubbel grain bill and added a couple ounces more biscuit then added coriander, crystalized ginger, fresh orange peel, and star anise to the boil. I used wy vss yorkshire yeast for primary (extremely fruity). After primary I racked onto prunes, raisins, and an amber candi syrup and pitched wy 3787. I'm calling it plum pudding ale-it's very fruity with just a hint of spice that would be hard to identify if you hadn't seen the recipe. It's about 9.2% abv and finishes fairly dry ( FG was a little over 1.012).

Should I enter it as a Belgian Specialty or Category 23? Most of the ester profile came from the Yorkshire yeast but there is a hint of the 3787 flavor.
What do you think?

Per the instructions of the BJCP: "Christmas-type beers should be entered in Category 21B (unless they are Belgian Christmas-type beers; these should be entered in 16E)."

Latest posts

Back