Which apples are the best

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonanotjones

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having problems finding cider apples, they don't exist in the country I live in. So I was hoping for advice on which dessert apples to use, the choices for sweet are Fuji, Red Delicious, Braeburn and Gala. The tart apples are Granny Smith and a small pale green apple called a Pero. I'm looking to do a blend, so any advice on which to use and percentage of blend mix. Thanks

Look for heritage apples in your country. If you tell us what country, we may have a better idea of what apples you should look to find to use in your blend.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

PS avoid "mealy" apples like Red Delicious. You want to try and find Winesaps or Sops of Wine to balance out a tart apple like Granny Smith.

Hi, I'm living in Peru, I've looked in all of the markets and there seems to be the same 8 or so types of apples, there are imports from Chile but they seem to be the same varieties. I'm thinking of using Granny Smith, Pink Lady and Gala. I'm not sure what problems arise from using dessert apples.

Pink lady's (sweet) and Granny Smiths (Tart) might pair perfectly.

I would find the sweetest of the hard apples (fuji, braeburn, gala) available, and use those with maybe a little granny smith to add some tang.

What about Gravensteins? I too am going to try my hand at making cider from the apples off my tree

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm not sure what problems arise from using dessert apples.

Dessert apples are great eating, because they have a good balance between sugar and acid. When you ferment the sugar out, the acid remains, so the cider is too "sharp." That's one problem.

Dessert apples do not typically have enough flavor compounds that persist through fermentation, so the finished cider is insipid (tasteless). This is why so many people are adding all kinds of other stuff - tea, honey, even hops - to cider, attempting to compensate for the poor quality fruit.

Back