Whether to transfer to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

124Spider

Reaction score
Hi,

I have brewed three batches of beer, using Brewer's Best kits. All came out fine. I moved the first to secondary, but not the other two. Two of those were red ales; one a brown ale.

Five days ago, I brewed up a batch of Pumpkin Spice Porter (Brewer's Best). All went well, AFAIK, and it burbled away happily for a few days. Now, the bubbling has essentially ceased. So it's time to think about racking to secondary, I think.

I read that this particular kit results in a strong spicy taste, and some (but not all) feel that it does better sitting longer before bottling.

I have no problem with that, but I am not thrilled about having sitting on top of the yeast cake for many weeks.

So I think I want to rack to secondary this time, any day now.

I have a five-gallon PETE carboy, which supposedly is made out of special PETE to be impermeable to oxygen. Is this a good one to use? And is there any particular risk (other than contamination--I'll sanitize everything--and oxygenation--I'll siphon) that I should know about?

Also, any hints about how long to keep this in secondary, and how long to bottle condition, would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks!

How long to keep in primary = as long as a couple of months. Definitely until 3-5 days after you hit final gravity.

How long to do a secondary = some people fear leaching of chemicals from plastic. I am not one of them. If it is a Better Bottle, Bubbler or similar you should not have oxidation problems. I have heard of people leaving beers in them for around a year without problems.

Long term bottle conditioning will also help. I have done strong brews and bottled at about 1 to 1 1/2 months and the beers were best at 9 months to 1 1/2 years. I have a winter warmer ale that was bottled in Dec. 2011 it is still good.

Your PET carboy will do fine for quite a long time. Although glass is always best for really long-term aging, I don't think you'll risk much oxidation with 6 months or more with your carboy. Like you, I tend to want my beer off the yeast as soon as primary fermentation is completed. I think too much time left on the yeast does nothing to help and much to harm the brightness of a beer's flavor.

The risk of contamination gets a lot of wind when the subject of moving beer to a secondary fermenter is concerned. But I think it's a boogey-man that evaporates under close scrutiny. Fundamentally sound sanitation practices minimizes those concerns.

I haven't used a secondary in my last 15 brews, and I'm not looking back.

That's not true - I have a stout on oak in a corny. Without a specific reason like that no way.

I don't even look at my beer until 2 weeks primary.

Back