Whether to steep or partial-mash/mini-BIAB raw wheat for Rochefort 10?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bingggo

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I’m planning on doing a Rochefort 10 clone with extract, and not sure how/if to handle the raw wheat component. Beersmith’s auto-convert replaced it with wheat extract, but is it easy enough to use raw wheat anyway? And any guesses on whether the flavour differences would be significant?

I have in the past done a beer with a 45m steep at 67 degrees of the spec grains, plus a rise to 77 degrees. Not sure if that would do the job here, and if I should add a small amount of pilsner malt during that process.

I found this discussion here, but it seemed more how to handle a much higher wheat component: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=543855&highlight=wheat

Edit: as a potentially complicating factor, I got the raw wheat milled with the other specialty grain. So I can't do anything with it separately.

Regards,
B

The recipe is:

27L. OG 1.096, FG 1.017
6kg Pilsner liquid extract (65.3%)
730g raw wheat (7.9%) [Beersmith suggested 350g wheat liquid extract substitution]
590g Special B (6.4%)
360g Biscuit malt (4%)
290g Aromatic malt (3.1%)
950g Candi Sugar, Dark (10.3%)
270g Dextrose (2.9%)
Various hop additions
1762 yeast

I'd remove it completely. At best you will get a protein haze whether you steep or mash whereas malted wheat will give the haze when you steep and not mash.

I'd remove it completely. At best you will get a protein haze whether you steep or mash whereas malted wheat will give the haze when you steep and not mash.

Op can't remove it, it's mixed with all the other grain.

You will need to mash with a couple pounds of malt, or add enzyme to covert it.

Not sure how bad it would be to just steep it....it won't convert or do much for you, but you'll get beer.

Back