Where to "legally" purchase kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taco29wps

Reaction score
Where can I legally purchase 15.5 gal kegs to use for mash tun/boil kettle? I see that it is actually illegal to purchase ones that never made their way back to the store, but does the distributors ever sell them?

Thanks for the advice,

Taco :D

I bought one that was holed from a local craft brewery. I was able to drill out most of the dent/tear and had a coupling welded in.

At a starting cost of $180 with two welded couplers, that's pretty steep. Especially if you just want a base keg to convert yourself.

Start calling either recycle centers, scrap yards, or breweries in your area. The breweries could tell you where they send their kegs to be recycled, which is where you can get them legally.

In my area, I've found someone that buys them from the recycle center that gets the kegs. I can buy cleaned kegs from him (he removes the valve, gives them a decent cleaning, and then sells them). The costs of the keg depends on the condition it's in. Ugly/beat up kegs are far cheaper than kegs with almost no dents/dings in them.

The guy I know would be willing to ship to you, but that's not cheap. PM me and I'll send you his contact info.

True, but at that rate they should at least give you a 'reach around' or 'happy ending'... :eek:

They are actually my LHBS and they have great customer service....but what you are suggesting has never been an option. ;)

I don't think their price is any different or higher than any other shop selling that style keg online....excluding Ebay....but if you want legal you gonna have to pay legal pricing.

They are actually my LHBS and they have great customer service....but what you are suggesting has never been an option. ;)

I don't think their price is any different or higher than any other shop selling that style keg online....excluding Ebay....but if you want legal you gonna have to pay legal pricing.

Not having to pay shipping would help. Ebray is probably grey market at best, and some of the people selling kegs there really shaft you on shipping. Of course, shipping would be less if they took a few minutes to actually empty out the damned things.

IF you're lucky, you could ask your LHBS (if they carry sanke kegs) to set one aside for you, without it getting fittings welded, holes in it, or cut up, so that you can do it yourself. I know there's one LHBS that pretty much won't do that for 1/2 bbl kegs. They get them all cut and drilled, and fittings installed so that they can charge more. Doesn't matter that the placement of their hole doesn't work for you. Needless to say, I don't go there much at all anymore. I actually can't recall the last time I went there in fact.

Back