Where to find Cedar Spirals or Cubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisbeer

Reaction score
I want to age a beer on some cedar but it has been impossible to find any. I really wanted to get some spirals but I can only find oak. Any suggestions?

My guess is there is a reason you can't find them. From what I have read, and I have just starting reading up on wood aging, you really don't want to use any type of conifer wood (pine, cedar, etc.) because they impart a nasty terpene flavor.

What he said ^.. however if you are itching to experiment..try wallyworld/target etc they sell cedar blocks for putting with wool suits, jackets/ sweaters etc to keep the moths from feasting.. Ill take a wild guess that they would be by the coat hangers and stuff.

I have heard Spanish cedar imparts a good aroma. Jester king uses cedar spirals in the beer El Cedro. It is really good.

thisisbeer said:
I want to age a beer on some cedar but it has been impossible to find any. I really wanted to get some spirals but I can only find oak. Any suggestions?

+1
I am also interested, especially after having Cigar City Jai Alai. Man that's good.
I have also heard that cedar can impart nasty flavors, but after reading up on it, I got the impression that Spanish Cedar is different somehow.

Well if you can hold out for about seven weeks I'll ship you some! This arrangement would alleviate that "What the hell am I going to do with this tree" scenario I face every year on December 26th (lol)! :D

Cedar is bad. Spanish cedar is not true cedar, and is ok to use. You can beg for some at a cigar store; I think someone said they use it as a spacer in cigar boxes. If there's a Woodcraft store near you, they have untreated planks & dowels of lots of interesting woods, although I would strongly advise some preliminary googling to see if the wood you're interested in is safe.

+1 on using Spanish Cedar & NOT one of the aromatic cedars. Get your hands on some good cigar box liners or even a wooden cigar box. They're most often Spanish Cedar.

Thanks guys. If you get a chance to try El Cedro from Jester King out of Austin Tx I recommend it. I'll check out some of the cigar ideas.

I finally sourced the Cedar Spirals. 2 8" Spirals are $14.75 at The Barrel Mill. They may not be on there website so you will have to contact them directly. FINALLY!

Back