where to drill for taps in a chest freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisdb

Reaction score
home depot just dropped off a new chest freezer.... my new kegerator project fits 3 corny kegs and a co2 bottle with room left over for bottles.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I would like to drill the front of the box for two taps but worry about hitting a refrigerant line. I suppose I could fashion a wood/foamboard top extension and relocate the hinges and avoid drilling the case (and not void the warranty because I could return it to original condition) but I really like how the lid seals and the corny kegs fit in nicely already.
The compressor is located on the bottom right side of the box... any ideas as to where the coolant lines are located? Am I courting disaster to even consider drilling directly through the side?
anyone drill through the top and fashion a "tower"... hows that working for you?

99% if not 100% of people either do a tower or a collar (wood extension). Click through the 'lets see your kegerator' thread for some ideas...

The lid seals just as well using a collar. You could get away making one out of 2x4's and not raise the height too much.

You are definitely courting disaster drilling anywhere on the side of a chest freezer. There are two sets of refrigerant lines buried in that jacket, and you'll never know where. IIRC there have been multiple "woe is me" threads on here from people who took the chance and ruined their new freezer.

indeed!
I have been looking through the 'show me' sticky and no one seems to have drilled the side of their chest freezer on their working examples. I don't want to start a 'show me your kegerator disaster' thread so will go with a tried and true method-probably will build a collar and relocate hinges.
thanks for the suggestions and warnings

another benefit-
a 2x6 collar will allow for a fourth corny keg to sit inside on the little shelf inside.
I've got 2 taps to install, I might need to add 2 more

another benefit-
a 2x6 collar will allow for a fourth corny keg to sit inside on the little shelf inside.
I've got 2 taps to install, I might need to add 2 more

I'll have to check that. I went with 2x6s and sitting at my desk am thinking I couldn't quite get a corny on there. But I'll try. Would have to move my hops somewhere.

The only way I'd attempt this is to pull the cap off the top that trims off the gap between the inner/outer walls and do some screwdriver exploration to find the safe spots. I don't know how easy it comes off, how it's attached or how easy it would go back on so just build a small collar.

I'll have to check that. I went with 2x6s and sitting at my desk am thinking I couldn't quite get a corny on there. But I'll try. Would have to move my hops somewhere.

You're right. I have the same freezer and am happy to have used 1x12's. Same amount of work for a lot more room. You can squeeze five in that fridge with a larger collar.

if it makes a difference, I have pin lock corny kegs... are they a different height maybe?
I just did a quick measur with an empty keg sitting on the shelf and it extend over the top of the open box by about 4 inches. a 2x6 is 5.5 wide so i figured it would do. I could go 2x8 for a little more wiggle room for hoses and such. I don't see how going to 2x12 is going to help but I may be missing something.

I fist built mine with 2x6s. This lasted a few weeks and I ripped it apart and rebuilt it with 2x10s.

The 2x10s gave me more room for everything. It raised the taps higher and left more room to mount a solid drip tray.

It's just personal preference.

Same fridge I used (see link in sig) with a ten inch collar there is plenty of room for the bottle and another keg on the hump.

for some reason this never came up on my search for ge chest freezer. If it had I would have stopped with this one... great build!
hadn't thought of the circulating fan either..
when I build mine i'm doing like you- I'll be sure to give you credit

if it makes a difference, I have pin lock corny kegs... are they a different height maybe?
I just did a quick measur with an empty keg sitting on the shelf and it extend over the top of the open box by about 4 inches. a 2x6 is 5.5 wide so i figured it would do. I could go 2x8 for a little more wiggle room for hoses and such. I don't see how going to 2x12 is going to help but I may be missing something.

Ouch yeah with pin locks you won't fit 4 on the floor as they are wider than ball locks. And yes they are a bit shorter than ball locks so the collar won't need to be as tall.

for some reason this never came up on my search for ge chest freezer. If it had I would have stopped with this one... great build!
hadn't thought of the circulating fan either..
when I build mine i'm doing like you- I'll be sure to give you credit

This [ame="http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=ge+7.0+site:homebrewtalk.com#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=active&q=ge%207.0%20keezer%20site%3Ahomebrewtalk.com&aq=&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=f441cba8a7737ba9&pf=p&pdl=3000&safe=on"]link [/ame]should set you straight

My build is almost photo worthy. I'll be sure to post pics when I finish the plumbing. :)

Be sure to go with a bigger collar. You will like to have the extra room.

Back