Where do you prefer to get your hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chadwick

Reaction score
I just purchased some hops along with some malt from my favorite online retailer and I started thinking about alternatives for purchasing the hops. Ultimately, I plan to start growing my own hops to supplement what I purchase. In the meantime, I find myself buying online. I don't have a LHBS unless you can count what is provided by a Liqueur Barn 65 miles from here. I don't buy anything from there for reasons I won't go into here.
EDIT: To be fair to the Liqueur Barn, I do buy things there. I buy from their deli, I buy the fresh baked bread, I buy the quality olive oils and many grocery products, I buy beer there on the occasions I actually buy beer because they have the interesting stuff. I specifically don't buy brewing materials there.

The long and short of it can be summed up with these questions. Where can I find great deals on hops? Where shouldn't I look for great deals on hops?

I asked both of these questions because I've seen some pretty lucrative looking deals on bulk hops before and I've thought, there has to be a catch or something wrong with them.

Hops Direct and Farmhouse Brewing. Those guys always do me right. HD has great prices by the pound if you are buying in bulk for the year. Farmhouse is great because they have 4oz packs that allow you to get a lot of different varieties.

Label Peelers is also a good choice, but I usually hit up the first two.

Thanks Cbaddad! I just did a quick browse of both sites. Fantastic! This is what I'm talking about. Those prices are awesome compared to what I have been paying. :rockin:

LHBS and lots of online places kind of upcharge hops since they mainly sell by the oz.

Look into a company called nikobrew. Can't beat their bulk hop prices.

Take care,

Stay away from Farmhouse. I am not even joking. They get all the new varieties of hops in. Its too dangerous. I literally have enough hops for the next 50 brews, and like 30 varieties. I can't help myself. I end up giving away hops to my brew buddies just so they don't spill out when I open the hop freezer.

I order all my hops online in bulk and average $0.50-$1.25 an ounce (after shipping). That includes more expensive hops like Mosaic, Amarillo, Nelson, Citra, Simcoe, Galaxy, Jade, etc. I have ordered several times from Grains to Glass in OH and Nikobrew and have had nothing but positive experiences from both.

I felt when I had 12# of hops in the freezer I'd be set for the rest of the year. Sadly, I'm almost out of citra and simcoe already. And those two rarely go on sale. Looks like I'll be mixing up some recipes from now until harvest time.

I've shopped most of the online retailers. I don't really have a favorite in that they've all had great service and pricing, so they all seem to do a great job. I've even bought hops by the pound from Bells brewery in their homebrewing section. They have done me right a couple of times still having hops everyone else was out of.

Stay away from Farmhouse. I am not even joking. They get all the new varieties of hops in. Its too dangerous. I literally have enough hops for the next 50 brews, and like 30 varieties. I can't help myself. I end up giving away hops to my brew buddies just so they don't spill out when I open the hop freezer.

I tried to get away from Farmhouse Brewing myself but couldn't :mug:. Just today I received my order with (4) 4 oz packs of hops among other items. Love their service and hops.

Where are you getting your grain online? just asking cuz I've been looking for a good place.

I buy my grain from Morebeer. I usually always order more than 50lbs at a time and I've had wonderful results. Although I don't use extracts anymore, their ultra-light liquid extract is the best I've ever used. I have to brag on it. It is the only liquid extract where I've managed to get my FG below 1.020 with an OG greater than 1.080+. Also, no extract twang.

Another Farmhouse customer here, had 5 pounds of a few different varieties arrive today that should cover me for a bit.

Latest posts

Back