where do you draw the line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgravier

Reaction score
it seems the new trend in american craft beer is to make stronger and stronger beers, continually pushing the limit. jim koch seems to think that there is no limit, sam adams makes a 60 proof beer now!. i just think that doing shots of beer is kind of silly aint it? id rather do a shot of some really good scotch, or a have a nice glass of vodka on the rocks. to me it would not be any different than making a "session" whiskey, a whiskey with the relative strenthg of a beer, so i could pound sixers of jack daniels. or how about we get a kegger of vodka, and drink pint after pint of 5 percent vodka...to me its just as silly to make a beer so strong, that it doesnt taste anything like a beer, and it has to be sipped like sherry...your thoughts...

I personally don't like beer much higher than 8%. My local brew pub makes a 12% imperial that I'll have on occasion but I wouldn't want that on a regular basis. 6% is a nice ABV to me.

I partly agree. But I tried Sam Adams Utopias. It was good, like a sipping liquor. But, not something you would want a 12 ounce glass of. I tend to prefer beers with about 6-7% ABV. Beers of up to about 12% are appealing. But I'm not after really strong beers in general. If it's strong I want, then it's 151 proof Bacardi.

i like to "drink" beer, not get sh*t-faced. i like mine around 5-7%, for sessioning (is that a word?). :~)

Genghis77 said:
I partly agree. But I tried Sam Adams Utopias. It was good, like a sipping liquor..

i like what fritz maytag is doing over at anchor. they make an old-school style all rye whiskey, which is really good if you got 200 bucks to spend on whyskey.

I agree with DRB. If I order an imperial or a warmer (anything over 8%), I just get a glass, not a pint. Same thing with the double & triple IPA's. It's sample glass time.

david_42 said:
I agree with DRB. If I order an imperial or a warmer (anything over 8%), I just get a glass, not a pint. Same thing with the double & triple IPA's. It's sample glass time.

really? me? :confused: i think that's the 1st time we've ever agreed on anything. :D :)

Back