Where did you get your PID, SSR, Thermocoupler???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtg644w

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Where did you get your PID, SSR, Thermocoupler??? I was planning a HERMS build. What components do you guys have?? What great deals are out there?? I've been trolling through so many posts and it would be good to get everybodies ideas in one place.

Im looking for good deals, I dont need automation.

Here is what I was thinking...

1) Simple PID ( should it be ~$40 on ebay)

2) Thermocoupler (type T??; narrow range??; how much should I expect to spend)

3) 25 amp SSR (should it be about $25)

-------------
I think I am mostly unsure about what thermocoupler to get and what to expect to pay for it.

Thanks for the help,

David

Thanks for everyone who gave advice! It really helped me out a lot. I'll have the HERMS set up in the comming weeks.

David

Eee bye gum bay.

PID from china. $4.99 (inc thermo couple)
SSR from USA - $15 for 4

I just looked at them on E-bay today and the "ships straight from Shanghai" stuff was still going for $35-40.

Where's the fi-dollah one?

I found these on eBay. Not being the expert mech/elec engineer, I really don't know much about these. All I know is that I've seen the name omron on many a control system. Does anyone know these or can tell their capabilities? Any help would be appreciated. joe

I got my thermocouples from www.omega.com. They were a little pricy, but one of them was custom built to my specs for about $69.

That Omron SSR looks like a great relay for controlling nearly any brew process, up to and including a 6000W heating element.

Back