where did the hops go??!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catsnbeer

Reaction score
I was at one of the many new microbreweries in Seattle and I noticed that their beer was really struggling to have much hop flavor (of any kind). All of their beers were labeled as having high IBU's, however the hops were hardly detectable in their IPA despite having 79 IBU.

I am curious what might cause this, mostly because I have noticed that with my own beers as well! Some beers that I make are supposed have high IBU's but just dont turn out hoppy! Is it the water? the pH? Too much air exposure? What do you think?

IBU's are a measurement of bitterness and not always indicative of hop flavor or aroma. You could make a beer with a large amount of bittering hops thrown in at the beginning of a boil and have a monstrous IBU number, but almost no hop flavor nor aroma.

True ... but what could be happening to make their IPA, CDA, IIPA etc all be so sorely lacking in the hop flavor/aroma and hop bitterness?

They told me they were dry hopping for 5 days for their IPA, I just couldnt taste it.

No hop aroma, very faint hop flavor, very faint hop bitterness. Sorry for the confusing post ! :mug:

No hop aroma, very faint hop flavor, very faint hop bitterness. Sorry for the confusing post ! :mug:

Hop flavor and aroma can fade, and IME sometimes it just doesn't ever show up as intended. I've started using hop stands a lot - I like the flavor and aroma.

I really can't address the problem of not getting enough bitterness. I generally get the expected bitterness. You could try rechecking the recipe and recalculating the IBU's.

Could be the water, could be poor attenuation (sweetness), could be too much Crystal in an IPA (recipe problem), could be poor hop storage conditions, those are just off the top of my head.

Hop flavor and aroma can fade, and IME sometimes it just doesn't ever show up as intended. I've started using hop stands a lot - I like the flavor and aroma.

I read a different threat about hop stands. I'm really excited to try that on my next beer, it could explain the lack of hop character in the beer I have been making. Thanks!

I was at one of the many new microbreweries in Seattle and I noticed that their beer was really struggling to have much hop flavor (of any kind). All of their beers were labeled as having high IBU's, however the hops were hardly detectable in their IPA despite having 79 IBU.

I am curious what might cause this, mostly because I have noticed that with my own beers as well! Some beers that I make are supposed have high IBU's but just dont turn out hoppy! Is it the water? the pH? Too much air exposure? What do you think?

It sounds like you're developing a hop tolerance. Much like a drug, your body can develop taste tolerances as well. While this may not be a true tolerance such as that experienced by someone who uses drugs on a regular basis (or homebrew!), the end result is similar. It takes more hops for your brain to react the same way to the hops as it did previously. Think about pepperheads that can seemingly eat unending supplies of hot spicy foods. Nobody starts out that way. They build up to it.

Hoppy beers, such as IPAs, are notorious for not being enjoyed by novice beer drinkers. It's often not until people begin tasting hoppier and hoppier beers that they develop a taste for these high-IBU beers.

If it were just one beer or just one brewery, I'd be apt to blame the beer. However, if you're noticing it everywhere, it's likely your perception of the hoppy bitterness, flavor, and/or aroma.

True ... but what could be happening to make their IPA, CDA, IIPA etc all be so sorely lacking in the hop flavor/aroma and hop bitterness?

They told me they were dry hopping for 5 days for their IPA, I just couldnt taste it.

Dry hopping doesn't add hop flavor only aroma.

I was at one of the many new microbreweries in Seattle and I noticed that their beer was really struggling to have much hop flavor (of any kind).
Not all breweries in Seattle make great beer, some are successful because they are great at sales and marketing. I'm not going to trash them in a public forum but feel free to send a PM.

One small brewery I was at recently discussed several beers that they had suspended brewing because they were out of some hop varieties until they received hops they contracted from the 2014 harvest.

It could be a number of things:

1. You are experiencing lupulin threshold shift. Do your friends and other patrons experience the same effect?

2. Poor storage or old beer. Oxidation lessens the hoppyness and really shines on the caramel type malt flavors.

3. The water supply to the brewery has changed and they have not adapted. The brewing salts can help or hinder the expression of hops in a given beer.

4. The hop supply changed. Maybe they ran out or switched suppliers. Maybe they spot purchased some hops of lower quality. A lot of variables here.

5. The brewery sucks. Maybe they have taken a turn for the worse. Or the brewmaster is new and does not know what he is doing. Or they changed recipes and didn't tell anyone.

Have you actually talked to the brewer and presented your feedback? They might not have any idea that public perception of their beer has changed.

I keep seeing this and it isn't true. I have a pale ale with Magnum bittering and Simcoe dry hop, no other additions and I get fantastic hop flavors (pineapple, pine, citrus and orange). It leaves a clean, crisp beer with great hop flavor.

Not all breweries in Seattle make great beer, some are successful because they are great at sales and marketing. I'm not going to trash them in a public forum but feel free to send a PM.

One small brewery I was at recently discussed several beers that they had suspended brewing because they were out of some hop varieties until they received hops they contracted from the 2014 harvest.

I'm with you. Ive been to several breweries in the Ballard/Frelard area that are making very mediocre beer. I am sure its hard to figure it all out on that scale! I hope that for some, it is just a matter of learning how to brew in an industrial way. This particular brewery I felt like was very close to having good beer...and...7$ growler fills!!

With all due respect, that's simply not true. Dry hopping can add a huge amount of flavor to a beer. It can also ruin a beer with grassy flavors when not done right or using a poor batch of hops.

IBU isn't the only measure of hoppiness, it's balanced against the GU (aka gravity units). If the GU is too high the bitterness will be balanced out.

Back