Where did I go wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernMissPKT

Reaction score
Just finished my first recipe brew, Irish red, and its in the fermenter. Everything seemed to go perfect! Hit all my temps for the correct times. My wort ended up being 1/4gal extra so I consider that a win. Here's where my issue is, my OG ended up being 1.022! I was expecting it to be 1.056. What happened?

Extract or AG? If extract, it just didn't get mixed well with your top off water. Happens all the time. If AG, you got some terrible conversion.

We would need way more information about your recipe and process... the devil will be in the details.

My recipe was AG. It's as follows:

Yield: 2gal
Strike: 1.2gal (152-155deg)
Sparge: 2.25. (170deg)

2lb pale brewers 2row UK
11oz pale 6row
10oz Caramel malt 60L
1oz Roasted barley

Mixed together put in muslin bag

60 minute boil
.3oz East Kent goldings (60min)
.2oz East Kent Goldings (30min)
.1oz Spalt German. (15min)
1/4tsp Irish Moss. (10min)

Cooled to 60deg

Pitched Wyeast 1084

Let me know if there's anymore info yall need. I really do appreciate your help/input.

Did you do a SG reading when the wort was hot?

I plugged your grain bill into BeerSmith and it says your OG should be around 1.038 with the extra .25 gallon. I assumed you mashed at 152-155 for an hour.

The extra 1/4 gallon reduced the OG some. The crush from LHBSs tend to be a little coarse for BIAB, assuming it was BIAB. They go for a medium so that mash tun/sparge customers don't get a stuck sparge.

For the muslin bag. Did you tie it up? If so you might not have gotten good flow through the grains, maybe even a dry area in the middle.

Again, assuming BIAB, a better way is to get a bag that lines the inside of your pot and allows you to stir thoroughly.

It could also still be that you got an uneven sample for your gravity test. Wort can stratify, and you could get a sample from a low gravity layer.

Hope this helps.

The extra 1/4 gallon reduced the OG some. The crush from LHBSs tend to be a little coarse for BIAB, assuming it was BIAB. They go for a medium so that mash tun/sparge customers don't get a stuck sparge.

For the muslin bag. Did you tie it up? If so you might not have gotten good flow through the grains, maybe even a dry area in the middle.

Again, assuming BIAB, a better way is to get a bag that lines the inside of your pot and allows you to stir thoroughly.

It could also still be that you got an uneven sample for your gravity test. Wort can stratify, and you could get a sample from a low gravity layer.

Hope this helps.

It was a muslin bag, and I did tie it up into a ball. During the strike I squeezed it to ensure it got thoroughly soaked but I'm thinking it wasn't straining through the grain during the sparge. Made it look like it was going into the grain but flowing around the ball.

Does that sound plausible?

It was a muslin bag, and I did tie it up into a ball. During the strike I squeezed it to ensure it got thoroughly soaked but I'm thinking it wasn't straining through the grain during the sparge. Made it look like it was going into the grain but flowing around the ball.

Does that sound plausible?

My guess that this is most of your problem. For small BIAB batches I use my 5 gallon kettle and a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. Put the elastic of the bag around the lip of the kettle and stir well. Put the lid on and insulate for the duration of the mash. Much better than a muslin bag.

Wilserbrewer on this site sells very good BIAB bags. I don't have one, but if I did more BIAB, I would certainly get one.

My guess that this is most of your problem. For small BIAB batches I use my 5 gallon kettle and a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. Put the elastic of the bag around the lip of the kettle and stir well. Put the lid on and insulate for the duration of the mash. Much better than a muslin bag.

Wilserbrewer on this site sells very good BIAB bags. I don't have one, but if I did more BIAB, I would certainly get one.

Stir? I'm not understanding how you "stir." I got the bag to use like having loose grain, and doing everything the same, but keeping it contained from clogging up my strainer.

In BIAB the bag is large enough to fold over the kettle lip securing it with a bungee cord or squeeze type paper clips. This way the water can surround the grain ensuring maximum exposure. A light occasional stir, like when you stir pasta to keep it from clumping) helps this process.

Double crushing grain is common in BIAB to help boost efficiency.

Check out Gavin C's indoor BIAB thread for a good illustration. I imagine your issue is around the crush and the mash technique. Stirring and draining/squeezing the remaining wort is a key factor, but a tighter crush really helps your efficiency. A grain mill is a good investment for consistent results.

In BIAB the bag is large enough to fold over the kettle lip securing it with a bungee cord or squeeze type paper clips. This way the water can surround the grain ensuring maximum exposure. A light occasional stir, like when you stir pasta to keep it from clumping) helps this process.

Double crushing grain is common in BIAB to help boost efficiency.

That makes sense. I will have to run it through my NutiBullet, and not tie my bag so tight. Either that, or mash with loose grain and use the bag as a fine strainer.

I can't do that again, this batch tastes like a hoppy Michalob Ultra (aka water)

The way to treat the bag is as if it's not there - it should effectively line the kettle like a second skin, allowing the grain to fully "swim" within the entire water volume. If you tied up the grain, you squished it together, preventing much of the water from liberating the enzymes whose job it is to convert starches into sugar.

That makes sense. I will have to run it through my NutiBullet, and not tie my bag so tight. Either that, or mash with loose grain and use the bag as a fine strainer.

I can't do that again, this batch tastes like a hoppy Michalob Ultra (aka water)

A nutri bullet will make a flour - not good. get a proper bag

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=385913&stc=1&d=1485179535

Like this, if you have good water circulation the pre-milled grains should be OK. Don't use your NutriBullet.

biab.jpg

I've seen them, but they looked like for 5+ gal set ups. I'm only doing 2gal right now. I guess I have to find one small enough for my pots.

You can order one made for your pot from Wilserbrewer. Just provide the diameter and depth and it'll be at your house in a couple of days, costing you only a bit more than $20, and it will be the best of its breed and will last pretty much forever with proper care.

http://biabbags.webs.com/

Home Depot sells paint strainer bags that fit quite well in a good sized kettle, even for a small batch. I've even used them for hop bags with no issues. Like mentioned above, just get some binder clips and secure it around your kettle rim. You'll also want to watch your heat so you don't burn the bag (been there done that).

+1 on size doesn't matter (unless it's too small)

My bag fits over most 5 gal kettles, but I brew on a 3 gal and 4 gal pot for 1 gallon - 2.5 gallon batches.

Since most kettles are designed for stove tops, they don't vary too much in diameter, more so on height, so since you are folding the bag over the lip anyway, it really doesn't matter (just keep it from the flame.)

How so yall sparge? Just put whole bag in strainer and ruN water over it? That's where my problem happened with this last bach, sparging.

Have you read about BIAB? You're asking basic questions that are talked about a lot in the stickies.

You don't have to sparge with BIAB. You can just do a full volume mash and get straight to boiling. If you do choose to sparge, you can do either a pour-over or a dunk sparge. You can also mash in a bag in a cooler, and do a more typical batch or fly sparge, using the bag as a manifold.

Lots of options.

Have you read about BIAB? You're asking basic questions that are talked about a lot in the stickies.

You don't have to sparge with BIAB. You can just do a full volume mash and get straight to boiling. If you do choose to sparge, you can do either a pour-over or a dunk sparge. You can also mash in a bag in a cooler, and do a more typical batch or fly sparge, using the bag as a manifold.

Lots of options.

Sorry, no I have not. I'll check in that. I juse saw a bag at LHBS and though that would help my strainer from clogging.

Thanks for the advice, now have to study the new method.

Actually... InBev has adjusted all Northern Brewer Kits to result in a final alcohol content of 4.1% like Bud Light.

:rockin:

Latest posts

Back