When to aerate wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolharry

Reaction score
My ground water only gets me down to the mid 70's, so I normally let the wort get the rest of the way in a sealed carboy in the cellar overnight.
So when should I aerate the wort? When I put it in the cellar or the next day prior to pitching?

My ground water only gets me down to the mid 70's, so I normally let the wort get the rest of the way in a sealed carboy in the cellar overnight.
So when should I aerate the wort? When I put it in the cellar or the next day prior to pitching?

Just prior to pitching. The point of the aeration is to supply an aerobic environment for the yeast.

You can areate whenever. Pitch then areate, areate store pitch...

You just don't want to areate once alcohol is present, unless you're working on a really big beer.

I think if you're doing it this way, you should avoid contamination. So I would do it once you pitch, so the yeast can get started before anything else. If you do contaminate before storage, over that 24hr period something else can grow. If that happens, you may lose the battle.

If you're doing it this way, you should look into the no cooling method.

Thanks guys, i will wait to aerate until tomorrow. I got it down to about 75 this time. It's unusually warm in WI right now so in a few weeks I should have no problem getting under 70. I think I might try a pre-chiller next summer and see what that does for me. Those last few degrees always seem to be the hardest.

Get a cheap pump from harbor freight and recycle ice water from a bucket. I've yet to have this issue in oregon, but I have
Two plate chillers in case I need to run th tandem.

Latest posts

Back