When to add fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjl110

Reaction score
I Want to make a blood orange wheat and was wondering what procedure to use. The radical brewing method says to add the zest and fruit after they are steeped, but before you pitch. Several people talked on the thread about how there is less orange presence than they would like using this method. Several people suggested adding the fruit and zest after primary fermentation, but I havent seen anyone say they had good results or increased orange presence.

So, anyone have an idea of where to go for a good amount of orange? Add before fermentation? After? Combo? Thanks!

im a newbie, but have done a little research and just started experimenting with fruit...

My research says to add zest at 10 mins before the end of the wort boil, but add the fruit at the start of second fermentation.

The zest goes in the boil at the end to:
a). sanitize
b) bring out the flavour (adding it at the start of the boil will make it bitter, so it needs to go in right at the end. you may wish to put it in a sock so you don't get too much bitters)

the fruit goes in on second fermentation because the primary fermentation can damage the fruit.

I've just started my fruit beer, but I put the fruit (blueberries) in at the start of the primary fermentation. so keep an eye on my blog if you want to see the result: http://www.madeinengland.co.nz/tag/second-brew

Good luck.

Definitely add in secondary and you will want to use about 2#'s per gallon.

2#'s per gallon? Geez that a lot of fruit. In getting ready to make a banana beer and I'm only putting 5#'s. I can't imagine 10#'s! I also have done a raspberry wheat before and I only put 2 1/2 #'s for 5 gallons and it was plenty raspberry flavor.

Kmcogar said:
2#'s per gallon? Geez that a lot of fruit. In getting ready to make a banana beer and I'm only putting 5#'s. I can't imagine 10#'s! I also have done a raspberry wheat before and I only put 2 1/2 #'s for 5 gallons and it was plenty raspberry flavor.

Depends on how long you are going to let it sit and age. A secondary fermentation should kick off which will scrub out some of the flavor.

I'm going to do a Blood Orange Wheat too... I'm going to use this extract recipe: Extract - Blood Orange Belgian Wit

It calls for 5 Blood Oranges and they will be added to the primary before pitching yeast.

My plan is to follow the recipe but I'm also going to buy extra oranges and when I take a gravity reading at the 7 day mark I'm going to taste it and if it doesn't have a good strong orange flavor I'm going to add some more oranges & zest. I will likely do a 21 day total time in primary fermentor. I know many feel it should be 4 or more weeks.... but I'm a noob and I've only got patience for 3 :D

will the blood oranges not make the wort too acidic for the yeast? How are you going to prepare them?

I'm just following up because I've just tasted my blueberry ale (about 25% wheat - wish it was more wheat, I think wheat beers lend themselves to fruit really well). It's just finished fermenting earlier this week.

I put 3 punets in my blueberry ale (sorry don't have more accurate measurements, imagine as many blueberries that you could fit into two cupped hands, then multiply by 2). 3 punets was not enough, the blueberry taste is too subtle to taste without knowing its there... even then you have to use your imagination :p

Maybe it needs to sit in the carboy a while longer or maybe I should have put more fruit. Who knows. Here's my write up if it helps anyone: Blueberry beer tasting and analysis after fermentation

I imagine that it depends what sort of fruit you are adding, blueberries have a very subtle flavour as it is... Citrus fruit, however... are you peircing / chopping the fruit or will the wort just have access to the skins? Please let us know how it goes :D

I will be brewing this weekend (fingers crossed, I'm single this weekend and have a one year old, so we'll see how that goes) and probably adding the fruit later in the week. I'll be peeling (zesting) the 6 oranges and then adding the zest and fruit to a little bath in a paint strainer. I'll soak them at 170 for 10-15 to kill the nasties, and then add it to the fermenter.

That's the plan anyway. If anyone has a better method or suggestion, please let me know! I'll post results and updates.

Latest posts

Back