When to add Carafa to the Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all. Long time lurker. First time poster.

I recently made the move to AG by brewing a vienna lager. I love it. I want to brew a schwarzbier next.

But as I look at the recipe I'm wondering when is the best time to add Carafa to the mash? Along with pilsener and munich malts at dough in? Or late in the mash? If so, how late? I want a little roast but not the astringent flavor I've gotten in the past from too much.

Hey all. Long time lurker. First time poster.

I recently made the move to AG by brewing a vienna lager. I love it. I want to brew a schwarzbier next.

But as I look at the recipe I'm wondering when is the best time to add Carafa to the mash? Along with pilsener and munich malts at dough in? Or late in the mash? If so, how late? I want a little roast but not the astringent flavor I've gotten in the past from too much.

1st change to the CARAFA SPECIAL from dehusked barley, it isnt nearly as bitter/astringent. Look up podcast from gordon strong on cold steeping your specialty grains vs mashing http://beersmith.com/blog/2011/11/17/brewing-beer-with-dark-grains-steeping-versus-mashing/

Thank you. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. In a pinch (called being disorganized for brew day) I mashed them with the base malts. Just finished D-rest yesterday and took a sample. Tastes like Schwarz. :)

Thanks again

Back